xr400 headlight question!

originally I was going to dual sport the bike now it will be strictly dirt. Questions I have are in stock form is the glass or plastic a "better" option is one really that much more noticeable also can an led bulb be placed in the stock socket? option 2 is the eBay style led plug snd play assembly is this also just as direct as it appears on do you have to change stator etc.... any info would be great thank you!

The plastic lens will stand up to about a 55-60w incandescent bulb. Anything higher than that, you should go with the glass option. I like the glass option even at lower wattage, just because the glass is clearer than an old cloudy plastic lens.

LEDs run on DC current. Stock, the XRs system is AC. You'd need to replace your stock voltage reg with a regulator/rectifier to change it to DC, plus adding in either a battery or the proper rated capacitor to provide a clean and consistent power flow.

The stock stator is rated at about 80w. Figure about 5w for the tail light.

I'm not aware of a "drop in" LED replacement bulb that fits the stock socket without modification.

Edited by Trailryder42

The plastic lens will stand up to about a 55-60w incandescent bulb. Anything higher than that, you should go with the glass option. I like the glass option even at lower wattage, just because the glass is clearer than an old cloudy plastic lens.
LEDs run on DC current. Stock, the XRs system is AC. You'd need to replace your stock voltage reg with a regulator/rectifier to change it to DC, plus adding in either a battery or the proper rated capacitor to provide a clean and consistent power flow.
The stock stator is rated at about 80w. Figure about 5w for the tail light.
I'm not aware of a "drop in" LED replacement bulb that fits the stock socket without modification.

thanks for the info! sounds like more work then I has originally thought would be involved on the led swap. a few crf450s have them that are up for sale maybe they are more of a direct swap. i like the look of glass much more but am worried that it may break easier especially on a down.

If the CRF450s have electric start, that means they have a DC system with battery and they can run an LED.

I don't think you need to worry about breaking the glass lens. I'm not sure if it's Pyrex glass or not but it's pretty stout. I've had one on my bike for years, in all kinds of crashes.

• Like 1

If the CRF450s have electric start, that means they have a DC system with battery and they can run an LED.
I don't think you need to worry about breaking the glass lens. I'm not sure if it's Pyrex glass or not but it's pretty stout. I've had one on my bike for years, in all kinds of crashes.

awsome thank you for the information! and good to hear, I'm no pro rider by any means