2018 450 SX-F First Ride

Ok,

Up Front I apologize for sounding dated - probably b/c I am.  Finally decided to switch back to 4 stroke KTMs after 10 plus years.  Been living my late/mid life crisis on a 300 SX.  

First and foremost I was very impressed on how the new bike handled - Very Impressive.  The bike is light, nimble, and fairly forgiving on rough terrain and bigger jumps.  Compared to years on the two banger - the new 450 feels like it wants to literally stick to the ground in turns...so much that I kept pushing it by seeing how far I could lean it in long fast sweepers before it let go.  

The roll on power of the motor was awesome but I miss the top end pull of my 300 SX...likely me still not used to the power curve.

Still mesmerized by all the technology (Traction Control, Ignition Maps, Launch Control, air fork, and yes EFI) I did a double take after bringing the bike home when I first thought all of the overflow tubes were missing from the carb..duh!! :) 

I still have much to learn on the maintenance schedule, optimal fuel types, oil, etc.  Any insight or advice is always appreciated.

KTM 450.jpg

Just noticed the graphics. Are affiliated with rgr? Brendan is my neighbor.

As for your questions, the 450sxf is the shisnit

You must be a trained observer! :) Yes Durhamtown - Bomber Track and Yes Brendan sold me the bike.  I'm headed to Motovated Sunday.

Congrats!  That is a great looking bike.  You gotta love that orange frame.  I have 7 hours on a 2017 250 SX-f FE.  Love the bike.  It did take some time to get the air fork dialed in.  Let us know how you make out with the fork.  There definitely is a learning curve to it.  

Ride Safe!

There's not much insight needed. Put gas in, adjust as needed. Concentrate on form . Ride and have fun

On 7/12/2017 at 6:32 PM, tlewis1156 said:

Ok,

Up Front I apologize for sounding dated - probably b/c I am.  Finally decided to switch back to 4 stroke KTMs after 10 plus years.  Been living my late/mid life crisis on a 300 SX.  

First and foremost I was very impressed on how the new bike handled - Very Impressive.  The bike is light, nimble, and fairly forgiving on rough terrain and bigger jumps.  Compared to years on the two banger - the new 450 feels like it wants to literally stick to the ground in turns...so much that I kept pushing it by seeing how far I could lean it in long fast sweepers before it let go.  

The roll on power of the motor was awesome but I miss the top end pull of my 300 SX...likely me still not used to the power curve.

Still mesmerized by all the technology (Traction Control, Ignition Maps, Launch Control, air fork, and yes EFI) I did a double take after bringing the bike home when I first thought all of the overflow tubes were missing from the carb..duh!! :) 

I still have much to learn on the maintenance schedule, optimal fuel types, oil, etc.  Any insight or advice is always appreciated.

KTM 450.jpg

Congrats on the 450, you will love it! 

BTW...your 450, would DESTROY your 300 two stroke at the track (or even out in the open).  Get to love her...It's the best bike you can buy currently! 

Congrats!  

• Like 1

The handling with new frame is what motivated me to go to the 15.5 (1st with new frame) from my trusty YZF when a friend let me ride his 16 450 Husky. 

I have not been riding much but need to get down to Motivated.

I am in York SC where are you from?

• Like 1

@tlewis1156 congrats on the new bike. I have a '16 and it's been great, 60hrs now.
As far as maintenance, I follow the manual and that includes oil changes at 10hrs with filter, pulling all three plugs. Never had any major filings like other brands. I do use Motorex. I'm a sucker for marketing. I'm still running original clutch pack btw.
Fuel, yea T-4 is nice and it runs cleaner, but don't need it.
Replace or clean the small inline fuel filter every 10hrs or so.
Here was a post (edited) I did on a previous reply to another "new bike" thread on TT:
An old filter rubber grommet over the top of the AF filter cage will keep filters from tearing...or just make sure no sharp edges.
Get a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) jumper harness and check your voltage, especially if you are getting lean deceleration popping. Lots of threads on here and elsewhere about this. Can also improve starting. Good ballpark is somewhere between .58-.63 at sea level. If you go aftermarket exhaust, def tune this. Tpstool.com
The yellow starter knob goes in for cold starts and pull OUT for riding (backwards from jap brands). If all your cables and throttle tube is clean, rolling the throttle and letting it go will pop the knob out from in. I just do it manually, but a nice "if you forget" feature.
Stock exhaust hard to beat IMO, but sucks when you have to remove the shock. Good luck! I cut out the screen, seemed a little snappier off idle.
Play around with maps, and the quick turn throttle cam (should be included or buy set of odi grips). Personally I like stock gearing for MX.
There are six rubber dampers in the clutch, when you replace the clutch replace those too. Super inexpensive and easy to replace.
Don't bother trying to find neutral while running!
Play around with fork height, they are 12mm longer than 4cs, so need to be way up.
The bar mount isn't the strongest, consider aftermarket like Ride eng.
Bolt under fender exhaust side with alum washer likes to come loose - locktite.

• Like 2

Dear Rick 

you seem to have experience with reliability

i am considering an sxf 450 2018 in August , coming from a yzf 450 2015 which I had many issues with (crank at 90 hrs,etc)

i ride 80-90 hrs / year then  rebuild first winter, then sell end of second season, vet A skill level

do you think I can make it through 80 hrs without major rebuild ?

what to look for for early signs of up-coming failures?

(I change oil and air filter every ride, and whatever it takes to keep it roosting)

tks in advance

Nicolas

Dear Rick 
i am considering an sxf 450 2018 in August , coming from a yzf 450 2015 which I had many issues with (crank at 90 hrs,etc)
i ride 80-90 hrs / year then  rebuild first winter, then sell end of second season, vet A skill level
(I change oil and air filter every ride, and whatever it takes to keep it roosting)

tks in advance

Nicolas

You would need to also do valve adjustments if you heavy on the rpms, and I would highly recommend using factory motorex oil only it's the best

Dear Rick 

tks in advance

Nicolas

The manual recommends a top end at 50 and bottom end at 100 hrs. If you're not banging off the rev limiter you could double that IMO. The engine uses a plain bearing on the crank, like a car engine, not a roller. I know first hand of engines going over 200 with zero valve, piston, or low end maintenance and are absolutely fine. I'm guessing the manual periodic maintenance is for a pro killing it for 40 minutes at a time.
Personally I won't touch a thing until 80 - 100. If I keep the bike eventually a bottom end @160 -200. Gotta see what 2019 brings. ;)
  • Like 1

Thanks again, I do not bang on the limiter ,and I am 50 years old, but I do run long moto, up to 45-48 minutes, and a typical day is 2 hrs on the meter. If I can last a summer without issues , I am happy, winters are for bike TLC..... lol

2019 is too far out for  me as my bike is dying and the 2018 is not yet here and I want to get top notch forks so 2017 ktm's is not in the cards.....I want to be as close as my SSS forks,bone stock.....

Thanks again, I do not bang on the limiter ,and I am 50 years old, but I do run long moto, up to 45-48 minutes, and a typical day is 2 hrs on the meter. If I can last a summer without issues , I am happy, winters are for bike TLC..... lol
2019 is too far out for  me as my bike is dying and the 2018 is not yet here and I want to get top notch forks so 2017 ktm's is not in the cards.....I want to be as close as my SSS forks,bone stock.....

Gotcha. The 17 has the AER forks, some slight improvements on them for 18. I've ridden the 17 with stock AER forks and the small bump absorption is impressive.

6 minutes ago, TomTopDog12 said:

Wow look at that it's a 17 with a orange frame neeto! hope that high price tag was worth it ;)

I think they only went up about $100 or so. I'm sure he feels it's worth it. It wasn't like he had a 17 to start with.

Wow look at that it's a 17 with a orange frame neeto! hope that high price tag was worth it

Sounds like someone is a little jealous.
  • Like 3