CR250 2 stroke carb slide

Hello everyone, i just picked up a 1996 honda cr250 2 stroke. Thing hauls ass no doubt and might be a little overkill for my first bike but thats besides the point. It has issues idling and starting espically when warm. I was told by the previous owner that it needed a slide in the carb. Problem is, i cant find one anywhere. I have a carb rebuild kit on its way and will start with that but does anyone know where i could find one? Im in central Minnesota for reference. Pic for attention Snapchat-357745742.jpg

• Like 1

Did he say why he thought the slide needed replaced? I replaced the slide on a bike before because it had a hair-line crack in it that you could barely see. Bike ran like crap, replaced the slide and now it's fine.
Watch those carb kits. Used a few and they never come with the correct jets for my elevation. Even came with a wacky needle for my CR. That's just my experience though.

Your 1st bike?  Grats!  Beast of a bike, I got two of the 95 models myself.  What kind of experience do you have with carbs/vehicle maintenance?

A lot of people end up ditching the 95 keihin carb altogether and end up getting a Mikuni from what I've heard.  My stock carbs work great for my elevation, 7-9k ft, so I've never really messed with them other than cleaning them up.

Have you taken the carb apart and verified that all of your jets are not plugged/your float level is correct?  Also what does your reed cage look like?  These need to be cleaned/maintenanced as well.  How about your air filter?  Did you wash it up and give it a light coating of oil?  Does it have any holes/tears in it?

Sorry for all of the basic questions, just don't know your level of involvement and history with bikes.

Good luck!

Ive worked on cars and truck my whole life (20 years) as my dad was a ase certified mechanic so i would say my experience with engines and mechanics are pretty good if i do say so myself. Today i got a carb rebuild kit for it so ill go through and clean and rebuild it. The filter was a little dusty as i pretty much ride in sand but wasnt bad and i didnt see any holes but will for sure check those tonight! Thanks man!

You should remove the filter, clean it properly then lightly oil it with a quality filter oil. Otherwise you are just playing Russian roulette with your engine. I would change the tranny oil before I rode that bike no matter what the po said. I wouldn't touch the carb until i rode it and made an evaluation of any issues. If you are not familiar with 2strokes and you do encounter an issue post some questions here before you do anything. It is a very rare occurence when a slide needs changing, especially on a Keihin. That Keihin in the 95-96 worked excellent and I never once heard of anyone changing it for another brand. Never.

The idle setting is probably too low. And a 2stk will never ldle like a 4stk. Just not designed to do that and the longer it sits idling it is prone to overheat. The airscrew may need adjusting also, try 1.5 turns out from LIGHTLY bottomed to start with.

6 minutes ago, ASP1227 said:

My two strokes actually idle better than my one 4 stroke bike. I've found that a good cleaning of the carb will help with fixing idle. My 350 twin used to NEVER idle, then I cleaned both the carbs. Now it'll idle cold with no choke.

Maybe you need to clean the carb on that 4stk! ?