early 90's XR250L fork oil weight

I did a search and I "think' the previous responses recommended for the later XR250l with the cartridge forks.  Anyway I thought I thought I'd ask...

Stock early 90's XR250L (stock forks that is), 200lbs rider (hey, round is a shape), and I like a plush front for rocks etc. 

Edited by pete-mn

oil type

xr250l...............pro Honda ss-8 suspension fluid or equivalent

xr250r, xr400r...pro Honda ss-7 suspension fluid or equivalent

oil capacity

xr250l..............550cc (18.6 fl oz)

xr250r.............492cc (16.6 fl oz)

I copyed this from my manual I hope it helps

• Like 1

Thanks Vic.  I probably should have asked what people have found to actually work well for them.  2.5W? 5W?   One manufacturer better than another?  

1 minute ago, Red800rider said:

I don't know the "weights" of the ss-7 or -8 but my 06 crf gets maxima racing 5wt fork oil and maxima racing 2.5wt shock oil. Lots of info in suspension forum and Honda forum. ... see stickies in both

I'll see if I can find anything in those forums.  Thx!

Stock forks, not great, ATF is about 6w and too stiff. I run a 2.5w-5 fork oil. Oil level is important.  Late xr250 forks slightly better but really need about $500 worth of revalve mods from Bruce in NC to make them great.  Xr400 forks, xlnt but need different triple clamps.  Worst part about L is bicycle ball bearings instead of timkens on stem.  Weird deal.

20 minutes ago, Baja Rambler said:

Stock forks, not great, ATF is about 6w and too stiff. I run a 2.5w-5 fork oil. Oil level is important.  Late xr250 forks slightly better but really need about $500 worth of revalve mods from Bruce in NC to make them great.  Xr400 forks, xlnt but need different triple clamps.  Worst part about L is bicycle ball bearings instead of timkens on stem.  Weird deal.

Yeah, ATF is what I have in there now.  Definitely too stiff.  I suppose I'll try 2.5w.  Do you suggest a particular brand or is that getting too specific?  Suggest an oil level you like too please (just looking for a good place to start).

Edited by pete-mn

I use maxima 10w in my xr400r but that was recommended to me by my local Honda dealer.

oil level(fork fully compressed and spring removed)

xr250l...........139mm(5.5 inches)

xr250r..........128mm(5.0 inches)

xr400r..........100mm(3.9 inches)

I have taken a pic of the book..... hope it helps

fork specs 001.JPG

30 minutes ago, pete-mn said:

Yeah, ATF is what I have in there now.  Definitely too stiff.  I suppose I'll try 2.5w.  Do you suggest a particular brand or is that getting too specific?  Suggest an oil level you like too please (just looking for a good place to start).

I have bardahl 2.5w-5w.  Forks were topping out on high speed bowling balls so I added a touch more oil.  One quart was enough plus a touch of ATF to get the level I needed.  Another option is to get your damper rods drilled by Bruce for around $80.  That option uses a heavier oil.

1 hour ago, Baja Rambler said:

I have bardahl 2.5w-5w.  Forks were topping out on high speed bowling balls so I added a touch more oil.  One quart was enough plus a touch of ATF to get the level I needed.  Another option is to get your damper rods drilled by Bruce for around $80.  That option uses a heavier oil.

I would try it but...  Care to share where you get bardahl 2.5w-5w?  I'm not finding it...

• Like 1

No probs I hope it helps if you need any more pix of the book let me know and il post as soon as I can. good luck with it all

2 hours ago, Baja Rambler said:

Amazon, but you could also use 3w suspension fluid. 

Looks like I'll have to use 3w, amazon seems to be out of the Bardahl.   In my searching I ran across a chart with (supposedly) actual viscosities.   Interesting how far from the label some oils vary.  I ordered some Honda SS-25 (2.5w) which supposedly is actually 3.21w.  Seems like as good of a place to start as any...

Once again Baja your help is greatly appreciated!