HOW MUCH tranny oil do you run in your 250?

Never mind the brand or type, forget the oil check bolt, HOW MUCH (milliliters or ounces) do you run in your transmissions? I get the sense that 750 mL isn't even enough. I remember reading on here that guys unknowing always dump the full quart in with no problems. Last change I did I put in 900 mL and it just seems better? quieter? How much do you guys run?

Yep 750ml here.

Measure it in and measure it out. Gives you a clue if your crank seal is going bad if it is way less out.

Never had a problem with my tranny. Just use good old 10w30 Motorcycle oil as the manual. Cheap and replace it loads.

I usually go with what is on the side of the motor or in the manual for all my bikes. I don't have a manual for my older bike, but I do run the 750cc because that's what is on the motor. Seems okay to me.

I usually run 800ml or so. No preassure in there so seals won't go bad. It will just drain out of the top of the case. Thinking about doing a quart tho so I don't get all the leftovers. 

800ml.  Rekluse ZS-Pro clutch likes a bit more oil with the thicker clutch cover gasket. 

Never mind the brand or type, forget the oil check bolt, HOW MUCH (milliliters or ounces) do you run in your transmissions? I get the sense that 750 mL isn't even enough. I remember reading on here that guys unknowing always dump the full quart in with no problems. Last change I did I put in 900 mL and it just seems better? quieter? How much do you guys run?

My 250x clutch makes a fair racket just idling but that doesn't hurt anything. I can see how more oil might dampen that sound a bit though. As noted the gearbox is vented so there's no pressure in there so over filling likely wouldn't hurt anything.
  • Like 1

ATF cleans and deglazes clutch plates and provides butter like shifting. The down side is it breaks down faster, so you have to change it more. In using both, I get the detergents to clean and the super nice shift capability. I've ran straight oil and straight ATF and anything in between, and I've found that 30-50% ATF gives me the smoothest shifting without feeling sloppy. 

Type F is the only kind that people use from my understanding; or seems to be the most recommended. Got the tip a number of years ago here on TT when I had a stuck clutch plate, and not only did it unstick it, it actually gave super clean shifting. Been doing it since.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, malignity said:

ATF cleans and deglazes clutch plates and provides butter like shifting. The down side is it breaks down faster, so you have to change it more. In using both, I get the detergents to clean and the super nice shift capability. I've ran straight oil and straight ATF and anything in between, and I've found that 30-50% ATF gives me the smoothest shifting without feeling sloppy. 

So do you run that in the two stroke only or have you tried it in 12WR? BTW, I want one of those 2012-14 after EFI-before they went 4 valve.... Nice bikes!!