Crf450 ticking for the past 10 hrs

So I have a crf450 used to be super quiet motor until I replaced piston and rings, intake valves where a tight .005 and.006, I then changed valves after 9 hours because they had smallest shims, now have new valves in still ticks but discovered the intake are .012 because I got the wrong shims, would having super loose intakes cause the ticking, I plan on reshimming but don't understand why it started every since I rebuilt the top end

Get your clearances right and if that doesn't fix it, check your cam chain tensioner. 

Reshimming valves because there way too loose but already checked tensioner and is in working order

Stainless valves probably? They seem to make more noise. But them being at .012" is going to make quite a bit of extra noise.  Also, those HotCams seem to make a lot of racket too.

• Like 1

Ss valves and yes they are very loose but they did that before I changed valves but they where on the tight side

4 hours ago, crf450ripper said:

Ss valves and yes they are very loose but they did that before I changed valves but they where on the tight side

I dont understand.

Yes, the valves are currently stainless. Yes they were very loose. Are you saying it was quieter with the Ti valves that were too tight? Well, ya...it would be

I dont understand.
Yes, the valves are currently stainless. Yes they were very loose. Are you saying it was quieter with the Ti valves that were too tight? Well, ya...it would be

It had ss valve before changing them

Well, the lash being .012 instead of .006 would make quite a bit of noise, especially with stainless valves.

valves where. 015 and .012 had 1.35 shims in it and now 1.90s now the clearance is .006 and .007 and in spec like the manual says, gonna start it up and go from there

Hey man I'm still stumped on the ticking, valves where way to loose so I shimmed then to .007 and ticking went quieter significantly would having the .007 cause clicking, I've also heard it could be timing chain but when it's together the chain is still tight, and it started ticking right on first start up after rebuilding it so I don't understand

There's a thousand things that can tick. And the CRF engine is a noisy muther to start with. It can be a skid plate, exhaust pipe squeaking, cam chain tensioner trying to fail (which is why I never run an OEM auto tensioner) a worn out set of drive cushions in the basket, clutch plates rattling in the basket...literally, could be anything. Or it could be the piston you put in is a tick too small ( a rarity at very best) Or it could just be the valves still. But it could be the left side main bearing too. Depending on how a big of a "tick" it is.

I think the decomp is set right and activating too easy if that's possible not sure on the exact way to set it tried following manual but didn't undersand, and I can't here it when revving

I know the 450 has a different cam setup but on my buddies crf250 the stopper plate was too loose and the auto decomp was rattling only at idle. Was an easy fix for him.

This shop I go to from time to time would look at it and tell me if I brought it in for no charge. Maybe you have a shop willing to do the same or for cheap?

I know the 450 has a different cam setup but on my buddies crf250 the stopper plate was too loose and the auto decomp was rattling only at idle. Was an easy fix for him.

This shop I go to from time to time would look at it and tell me if I brought it in for no charge. Maybe you have a shop willing to do the same or for cheap?

Yea I could also ordering new timing chain throw that in and reset decomp because that seems like the side it's coming from

Did you install the piston correctly?  I've heard if you install it backwards the valves will touch it.

Did you install the piston correctly?  I've heard if you install it backwards the valves will touch it.

Yes ex is facing exhaust port

If you did not install a new cam chain already I would go ahead and do that if you've already spent the money on piston and valves you might as well spend the extra $50 so you don't have to worry about it. Also double check your cam chain tensioner also.

My guess is cam chain and tensioner then.

Already checked cam tensioner all Good, I'm gonna reset the decomp since I did it wrong the first time the ticking is coming from the right side of the motor sound like from the weight on the end of the cam but already getting a new chain