2008 crf250r dirt bike I bought took forever to start when I test rode it and wouldn't idle very well so I cleaned the carb which seemed to help the idle problem. It still took a few tries to get it started both hot or cold so I got a new plug for it which seemed to help a little more. It still takes 4-5 tries to kickstart and I have to rev it slightly as I kick but when I do it starts right up. Is this just a little trick like some bikes have or is there a greater problem that needs to be checked?

Could check timing a tooth off on the exhaust valve is know to make for hard starting. Also, clean the air filter? Did you tune the carb. That can make it easier too. Is there an aftermarket pipe? Is it jetted for? It sounds like a fee things that are adding up to hard starting.

• Like 1

so I'm realizing this morning I forgot to put the throttle location sensor back on the carb after cleaning it...what effect would that have? Also it started leaking coolant after letting it sit and run for a few minutes