Mita E07 vs Heidenau K60

I'm in the process of looking at some dual sport tires for my SM, and so far the only 2 models I've seen that are able to fit 17" rims and my friend's workshop can source are the Heidenau K60 and Mitas E07.

Has anyone owned both and can comment on which would be safer to ride on wet tarmac? I live in the tropics and it rains like 50% of the year. There have been a lot of talk about how good they perform both on dry roads and off road, but not a lot of mention about wet conditions.

I can't comment on these tires but I can comment on running dual sport tires on an SM.  

Dualsport tires on an SM really is the worst of both worlds (dirt and street).  

DS tires on the street provide poor grip, braking, steering (heavy), and cornering (square tread).

DS tires on an SM (17" wheels) in the dirt makes for very heavy steering and the small diameter wheels don't roll over obstacles well.  

HOWEVER (before every jumps at me), DS tires on an SM allows you to get more out of your one bike.  

A good set of more street oriented tires (90% street/ 10% dirt) has a lot less trade-off's than dual sport tires (50/50).

Let's face it, the SM is a street bike, we all just like to think it's still a dirt bike. It's a dirtbike for tarmac and a very little amount of dirt.  

If you find yourself riding in the dirt a lot more and need more dirt oriented tires, find a set of 21"/18" wheels.

It's night and day difference.

I understand the 17" rims aren't going to do well in dirt even with dirt tires compared to a true DS, and it's street performance will suffer. But it's kind of a "well I have no better options" decision. Singapore doesn't have the DRZ-S, and I cannot just buy the S rims from overseas and fit it on my SM, because of regulations.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is this an import restriction or you are not allowed to change tire diameter due to a law?

Otherwise, order the parts and lace new rims.

The wheel diameter is by law. For motorcycles only, you cannot change the rim diameter from whatever bike you bought came with. Only tires are not controlled. And it's too expensive for me to buy another specialized dirt bike like a CRF.

Do yourself a favor and get the Heidenau K73 Super Moto tyre. I have used them on all but one of my Super moto bikes (4) and they are by far the best of both worlds for on and off road. They are essentially a cheaper version of the road race rains racers run on GP bikes that we used to use called Peralli MT60 R's. 

Heidenau K73.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KevinsXR said:

Do yourself a favor and get the Heidenau K73 Super Moto tyre. I have used them on all but one of my Super moto bikes (4) and they are by far the best of both worlds for on and off road. They are essentially a cheaper version of the road race rains racers run on GP bikes that we used to use called Peralli MT60 R's. 

Heidenau K73.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion man, I'll see if my workshop can get their hands on these.