7 posts in this topic

I recently swapped frames on a banshee. I have a 2002 banshee and now that I have everything moved over to the "new" frame I'm no longer getting a spark when I try to start it. Actually, when I ground my body to something on the frame I get a spark (it shocked the hell out of my uncle). Otherwise, I get nothing. I've replaced the wiring harness to no avail. The original has this model #: 3GG 82590 20. The one I replaced it with is 5FK 82590 00. The harnesses look similar but some connectors don't plug in. I've gone online and took the advice of someone who said to plug the orange and black wires to coil and I grounded the coil mount to the cylinder head. I moved the coil ground to a clean spot on the frame, disconnected the voltage regulator, disconnected the TORS all to no avail. Again, the only time I get a spark is when I ground my body to the frame. Any suggestions? I've spliced my new wiring harness in a few places so am going to buy a new one if needed. 

When you say ground your body to the frame, you mean you standing on the ground and touching it with your hand? If that's the case, it's gotta be a grounding issue I think. Was your uncle just touching the frame when it shocked him? And where you kicking it over when it happened?

1 person likes this

My uncle was standing on the ground, leaning against the frame of the quad and touching the bottom of the spark plug with his hand trying to determine if there was a spark. I was kicking the engine over. Yes, we figure it's a grounding issue but we just aren't sure where. The engine used to run perfectly before I swapped frames.

I'd check the grounding on the coil, or CDI. It's gotta be either one of those.

Okay, I'll be working on it again next weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!!

We replaced the CDI and still no spark. Regarding the coil, we grounded it from the coil mounting bracket to the head and still no spark. What do you think?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

• Similar Content

• By YungCharmander
      I'm looking for the best reliable atv for trail riding, the main thing I'm looking for is extremely low maintinance and I'm looking for the sport style atv, not the utility styled atvs. Don't really care about engine size just care that the quad fits me at 6'1, and won't get boring. Also looking for good reliability along with the low maintinance.
    • By Nathan Anderson
      Hello, this past weekend was overly frustrating for me and a few friends. We planned weeks ahead to get away for the weekend, leaving the even more frustrated wife and kids, traveling a few hours south to ride at Burning Rock Outdoor Adventure Park in WV. Cabins rented, tanks filled, bikes in tow. We made it 15 miles from camp the first morning only to have my rather new (250 miles, 16 hours) 2016 250xc-w stop dead. Initial thought was a plug, which when changed it hit just for a second then shut off again DEAD. Put a third plug in and towed it down the trail in third gear for a 1/2 mile... NOTHING DEAD. Finally pulled the plug and realized it wasn't sparking at all. We switched the CDI box, voltage reg, and coil packs between mine and my friends 2014 on the trail to no avail. We also checked the kill switch.
      Fast forward to today and I have pulled the side case to inspect the stator. You can see in the picture the bottom black winding, which by the manual looks to be the charging coil of the ignition is bubbled (not sure if that's normal). The maintenance book I have states at 68 degree, which my garage is maybe 75, the resistance should be 12-16.6 ohms. You can see right at the coil itself I'm getting around 9.7, and if measured at the bus connecter as the manual says, it reads about 10.1.
      All the other values for the coil pack and stator are perfectly within spec, and nothing is shorted to ground. I'm the original owner of the bike and haven't done anything but change the oil and clean the air filter. 

After all that my question is are those roughly 2 ohms enough to prevent the plug from sparking???

Alternator specs
      Lighting winding .1 ohms
      Battery winding .7 ohms
      Stator spec
      Pulse generator 100.1 ohms
      Coil pack
      Primary winding .3
      secondary 6K ohms

On a side note, I highly recommend the trails (what I saw) and the employees of Burning Rock. One of the maintenance guys rode 30 minutes with my friends, around the mountain, in the truck, to lead them to me... Super friendly folks. 
      https://burningrockwv.com/

• By PDXSmitty
      Hello!  We do market research and need a group of ATV enthusiasts in the Northern part of Oregon to give us opinions and feedback on ATV riding and ATV gear.  WE ARE NOT SELLING ANYTHING!!!!!  This is pure market research and there is compensation for participating.  Anyone interested please reply and/or pass along to any other riders you know that may be interested. Thanks!
      mikes@sasquatchagency.com

• By michaelchristie207
      Hey I'm 14 and am looking to buy a new quad/bike. I am selling my yz85 currently I'll tell you what bikes I have owned/ rode crf50-xr80-yz144-yz85 
      kfx50-yamaha blaster-raptor80
      and I've riden Polaris 500's and they seem pretty sweet . The riding near my house is, a bog, single track, power lines, mud and sand. I feel like a atv would be better for mud and the rooty trails but I love the 75+ mph speed from bike and being able to jump/throw them around. 

Some bikes/ quad I've been looking at, keep in mind I have about 1500-2000
      crf250x all brand 250f's raptor 700 400ex 300ex another blaster? Please help me with suggestions. I'm 120 and 5'5 and I feel comfortable on a 250f I've riden a few. Thanks 
    • By DarrellH3
      The bike has spark at the plug when grounded on the engine but not much. I have a wr250f so I compared the two. The wr has much more, bright blue spark, yz - you can barley see the spark. I switched plugs and coils between the two bikes, same result. The bike will start and run for 30-60 seconds and then die. If you crack the throttle it dies. I have checked the ohms from the stator. It all checks out with my multi meter to be within spec. I have check all connections, disconnected the kill switch. Nothing makes any difference. I have researched and read every article. Before I start buying parts and switching them out I'm open for suggestions.
      When the bike quit and we got it hope, I noticed that there was a hole on the radiator hose and there was no water in the bike. I figured it had run hot and melted the piston. I checked the valves. They were spot on. Pulled the top end off. The piston and cylinder looked okay. The oil rings showed wear so I put in a new piston and rings hoping. When I got it back together it was still the same. You can get it to start after several kicks but not for long. Could the heat have caused something to happen in the electrical system? Any advise will be greatly appreciated. From all I have read the cdi rarely goes out on these bikes.
      Thanks,
      Darrell