First post. I hope someone finds this informative. I'm using this as a build journal to document my process and the mistakes I make along the way.

2007 KX250

12T front 51T rear sprockets

I'm 5'4" about 140 pounds and not as in shape as I'd like to be. 

Bike cost me nothing. So I'm fine spending a bit. I cut the seat down, added a lowering link, redid the suspension so I can get one foot down. Easy pull inline clutch linkage did wonders for the left hand. 13oz flywheel weight did wonders for the rideability and made climbs a bit easier. Now I want more.

I'm now in the process of taking apart the head and the bore to send to Eric Gorr to get a port job done and a decompression valve installed for easier starting. I also plan to get an FMF Gnarly pipe and Turbinecore2 spark arrestor silencer. The Boyesen Rad valve just came in the mail. Lastly, an 18" rear with some Ibex shoes.

What do you people think? 

15000139348101493295651.jpg

15000139678581540833032.jpg

15000140401621204131592.jpg

Edited by Justin Paz
Added info

I'm gonna need your input later then. I read in the manual that with the rad valve,  I'd have to go a couple steps leaner on the main. But with the porting and pipe and silencer, I really don't know where to go after that.

Great thread!  I'm looking forward to seeing the process come to fruition and hopefully learning a few things along the way.  

small but work ,

why did you go 12t and 51t sprockets ?

It's what was on it when I got it. I think the stock is 13/51

5 hours ago, VTMTcowboy said:

Great thread!  I'm looking forward to seeing the process come to fruition and hopefully learning a few things along the way.  

I'm learning as I go along too. It's a fun process.

I am probably not going as in depth currently with my 97 KDX 200, but eventually want to do a full tear down and rebuild.  The lack of a garage and the fact I know myself too well may hinder that though, haha, so we'll see.  Keep up the good work!

your off to a strong start, maybe i glanced over it but make sure the bike has a full skidplate and hand guards.  Not everyone is a fan, but the few times i've ridden with a scotts steering damper ive loved it.  did you revalve the suspension for woods when lowering?

i have an 03 with eric gorrs mo betta porting, Gnarly/TC and a boyesen rad valve, it rips.  the 07 motor is said to be much more top heavy, never ridden one myself, so a port job could benefit greatly if your looking to move the power around.

Nice!, looking forward to seeing it when completed, got any pics of the bike?

nice, doesnt look like it was ridden a whole lot based on the frame wear, just needs a good scrubbing:thumbsup:.  are those aftermarket triple clamps? i know it was a popular mod on those bikes.

I ride one of those and as much as I'd love an upgrade, I'm more or less happy with it in the woods.  Definitely put a stabilizer on if $$$ allows.  Mine has a Rekluse for 2 reasons, because I love to ride crappy rocky terrain and because the clutch pull is horrendous.  What was that in-line easy pull thing you speak of?  Also of note, my powerjet carb circuit is enough juice to run my Trail Tech GPS computer.  I'd love to find a way to get a wide ratio trans set-up.  On the older bikes you could use a KDX trans, but I don't think so on the 05-07.  Anyone have any ideas?  Keep the pics and progress report coming!  Here's some pics for the helluvit.

kx1.JPG

kx3.JPG

• Like 1

This is the easy pull clutch mechanism. I think its from moose racing. It uses different fulcrum points to increase the mechanical advantage. It has 3 different points for adjustments. The clutch lever is off a husqvarna wr300. The ball end of the original clutch lever wouldn't fit. This bike really is a bastard of a bike. The clutch pull is equivalent to a 125 or 150 right now. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than stock. It also has a new clutch cable out to the gearbox. 

15012262822451434220952.jpg