What would you get an sm or z and than buy the opposite set of wheels to have both of them?

The topic says everything.

I want both bikes, which one is a better platform?

I will probably do more offroad but still want to have an sm setup.

Thanks for helping !

I'd say get SM and buy used S wheels. Used S wheels are cheaper and the SM has a wider swingarm, giving you more tire options. Basically you have the better supermoto, and an on-par dual sport. 

Converting an S to SM is a bit more work. You need SM wheels, discs, and a front caliper relocator.

SM to S just needs S wheels. Just swap your SM rotors. SM looks better too (mainly just forks, headlight shroud and fender). Just be sure to get the right speedo drive for whatever wheels you buy, or your mph will be off!

• Like 1

I think the S has longer travel suspension, not sure. You'd need to check the spec sheet on both.

SM front brake caliper is positioned for a 310mm front rotor, this rotor size is vulnerable to rock damage in semi serious dirt.  No commercial caliper relocation adapters available to use smaller rotors .  SM is slightly stiffer and has a less suspension travel than S.  Rear caliper mounting is not compatible with S.

S rotor is 260mm, 270 to 320mm rotor kits available.  270mm rotor is a good street/dirt compromise,  HH pads recommended.  Rear rotor is 220mm (vs SM 240mm), adequate for street/kart track day, real racing/fast motoring 240mm preferred.  S needs suspension work and springs for rider weight.  This is a good suspension link:

Wheels, re lace RM hubs or Hooligan Mod.

Hooli mod is a bit cheaper, requires a bit of machining, sweat equity and allows tubeless tires.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, nirdv55 said:

The topic says everything.

I want both bikes, which one is a better platform?

I will probably do more offroad but still want to have an sm setup.

Thanks for helping !

What is your definition of "off road"?  

If by "off road" you mean two track jeep roads and Forest Service roads then the SM is likely the better starting point.  If by "off road" you mean getting on some medium/hard single track then the S would be the better starting point due to suspension differences.  

Can you plate an E model in your state?  If I was expecting to do any serious trail riding on a DRZ I would start with a plated E or kicker only and then buy some sumo wheels for the street.  

Originally I thought I could mod my S for serious off road but ultimately had to face the fact the DRZ is a heavy motorcycle, too much for this old man to fight on trails any more so I opted for two bikes. DRZ for Dual Sport and a TE 150 for serious trail work.  At this point I'm thinking of selling my second set of wheels/sprockets/rotors with proper knobs on them as I don't think I'll ever put them on the DRZ again.  

If you're doing real tough enduro, neither suspension setup is great. You will need to revalve and respring. Ultimately the S forks may come out better due to the longer travel. Or swap forks from a different dirt bike on either bike and the headache is the same. Axle size, wheel spacers, caliper fitment...

the S/E to super moto is a 'better' conversion because of brakes ect, you cant put a dirt disk on a sm and the sm suspension isnt designed for 'enduro' really .. the suspension of either is not full mx but the S/E i think is better suited to offroad for sure, the sm is just a better looking bike with its hefty, thick upside down fork .. the best scenario is just have 2 bikes heheh, but if your going to swap my opinion is get a dirt version and get sm wheels for it .. ..

Comes down to preference and cost. I would have done the SM, but I wanted out in the dirt immediately, without shelling another couple grand. The differences are so slight that neither platform is going to dominate either terrain. In the long run, the S forks will be lower maintenance if you do a lot of dirt.

Buy the one that best matches the majority of the riding you will do. I would have no qualms about converting an SM for XC.

Edited by Bermudacat
  • Like 1

My opinion is buy the S. And get the SM wheels. If you buy some Warp 9 wheels off eBay they come with everything you need and if you have any problems they will help you and work with you. Me and my hubby both have S and we ride dirt all the time. Yeah your not gonna do any crazy MX track riding but the S does great in the woods and we ride some pretty technical rocky stuff sometimes. Hills etc. It is heavy! So it will give you a workout lol.
If you can plate the E it may be better for you if you want the lighter bike. But the S will do the job. It does nothing great but everything good if that makes sense lol. I'm not gonna lie...I bought a KTM Freeride to ride in the dirt now just because the DRZ is so heavy but I'm a small framed girl so it was a lot harder on me. But I've had the DRZ everywhere I take the Freeride.
I also have the Warp 9 rims for my S. I love it on the street too. So light and flickable!
See here....

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DRZadvKat01 said:

My opinion is buy the S. And get the SM wheels. If you buy some Warp 9 wheels off eBay they come with everything you need and if you have any problems they will help you and work with you. Me and my hubby both have S and we ride dirt all the time. Yeah your not gonna do any crazy MX track riding but the S does great in the woods and we ride some pretty technical rocky stuff sometimes. Hills etc. It is heavy! So it will give you a workout lol.
If you can plate the E it may be better for you if you want the lighter bike. But the S will do the job. It does nothing great but everything good if that makes sense lol. I'm not gonna lie...I bought a KTM Freeride to ride in the dirt now just because the DRZ is so heavy but I'm a small framed girl so it was a lot harder on me. But I've had the DRZ everywhere I take the Freeride.
I also have the Warp 9 rims for my S. I love it on the street too. So light and flickable!

I say do the opposite, but for the same reason!

As Kat says, lighter wheels make such a huge difference in how a bike feels.  I will eventually get Warp 9 dirt rims for the weight savings. Had I bought the SM, I would have the DRZ street rims, and the rims on the SM are nicer than the S rims.

Oh, and on weight savings, you CAN put the DRZ on a diet and achieve Yamaha and KTM 4t weight. I'm nearly there. 

• Like 1

Are you looking to have true Street performance and true off road performance out of the same bike? I bought a SM model and put 50/50 tires on it. About half of my riding I do on the street another 30-35% is on gravel roads and Fire Road type terrian the rest is single track with a scattering of some technical terrain Within. The setup performed admirably in all settings, a jack of all trades and master of none type set up. It works for me because I am a casual Rider that values diversity in my bike's ability over abilities to excel in a specific Terrain.20170525_143956.jpg.c26c599e0abe2e83d9d267785553df3e.jpg20170623_202045.jpg.1f1ef64f38bae6c1286a90de030b683c.jpg

• Like 2