HELP with lowering yz85

Hi,

I would like to ask if there was a way to lower a yz85 BW.I know that I could buy small wheels for it but im having a hard time finding rims for it and im 12 so money is another problem for me.Any help at all would be appreciated.

Image1500023254.665687.jpg

• Like 1

mike1op,

Good on you for wanting to modify your bike; that's one of the joys & rewards of bike ownership. But modifying a motorcycle almost always costs money, especially things like wheels and/or suspension. (Besides, a small wheel conversion only lowers the bike about 1 inch, or 25mm.)

The good news is that you are at a time in your life when you are -- or will be -- growing a lot. There is a good chance in 2 years your YZ85 will be too small for you.

Also, though your bike seems too tall, learning to ride it that way will build your skills faster. Sure, the learning curve will be steep, but the additional challenge will help you in the long run.

Sorry if this is stuff you've already heard, but be stoked you have a dirt bike, and that people want the best for you.

Good luck, and keep us updated with what you do. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

mike1op,
Good on you for wanting to modify your bike; that's one of the joys & rewards of bike ownership. But modifying a motorcycle almost always costs money, especially things like wheels and/or suspension. (Besides, a small wheel conversion only lowers the bike about 1 inch, or 25mm.)
The good news is that you are at a time in your life when you are -- or will be -- growing a lot. There is a good chance in 2 years your YZ85 will be too small for you.
Also, though your bike seems too tall, learning to ride it that way will build your skills faster. Sure, the learning curve will be steep, but the additional challenge will help you in the long run.
Sorry if this is stuff you've already heard, but be stoked you have a dirt bike, and that people want the best for you.
Good luck, and keep us updated with what you do. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice.It's just that when I crash or fall of i cant get back on because it's too tall and when I do manage to get on i have a hard time kicking it over because i cant kick the bike and have the other foot on the ground at the same time.

Cutting the seat is the cheapest and most cost effective.... Bring a Camelback and put a plastic block in that you can stand on also.... Maybe someone rides with you that can hand it to you..learn to start when off then side saddle to get on... Last one is just never fall or stop🤣

• Like 3

Cutting the seat is the cheapest and most cost effective.... Bring a Camelback and put a plastic block in that you can stand on also.... Maybe someone rides with you that can hand it to you..learn to start when off then side saddle to get on... Last one is just never fall or stop🤣

Thanks

4 hours ago, mike1op said:

...when I crash or fall of i cant get back on because it's too tall and when I do manage to get on i have a hard time kicking it over because i cant kick the bike and have the other foot on the ground at the same time.

Quite a few of us can relate to that!

A friend of mine would always stop with a curb or stump or big rock on the left side of his bike. This allowed him to have a foot on the "ground" when stopped, and also made starting the bike much easier; basically what wwillfo1 said.

You can also lean the left hand grip against a wall or fencepost (and stand on the left footpeg) while kicking the bike.

Again, it may seem like a serious inconvenience, but it won't last forever, and in the meantime will let you be clever & ingenious. :thumbsup:

Shaving the seat will help, but at the most you will gain maybe 25mm. Look at the seat base to get an idea of how much foam can be removed. Plus you'll need a heavy-duty stapler to re-attach the seat cover.

You can also turn the preload 'way down on the shock. This may lower the back of the bike (depending on adjustment), but will cause bottoming and odd handling. If you are just puttering around it shouldn't be a problem.

You can also slide the forks up in the triple clamps, but that too may lead to odd handling. Again, it shouldn't be a problem if you are just puttering around.

• Like 1

Quite a few of us can relate to that!
A friend of mine would always stop with a curb or stump or big rock on the left side of his bike. This allowed him to have a foot on the "ground" when stopped, and also made starting the bike much easier; basically what wwillfo1 said.
You can also lean the left hand grip against a wall or fencepost (and stand on the left footpeg) while kicking the bike.
Again, it may seem like a serious inconvenience, but it won't last forever, and in the meantime will let you be clever & ingenious. :thumbsup:
Shaving the seat will help, but at the most you will gain maybe 25mm. Look at the seat base to get an idea of how much foam can be removed. Plus you'll need a heavy-duty stapler to re-attach the seat cover.
You can also turn the preload 'way down on the shock. This may lower the back of the bike (depending on adjustment), but will cause bottoming and odd handling. If you are just puttering around it shouldn't be a problem.
You can also slide the forks up in the triple clamps, but that too may lead to odd handling. Again, it shouldn't be a problem if you are just puttering around.

Thanks,i think ill take your advice and just try and get through without modding or changing anything on the bike.
  • Like 1

If I could, I'd send you a sent of wheels; I really understand & appreciate your desire to mod things to suit yourself. :thumbsup: :ride:

Update this thread at the end of summer. It will be awesome to hear how you are doing!  :applause: :ride:

If I could, I'd send you a sent of wheels; I really understand & appreciate your desire to mod things to suit yourself. :thumbsup: :ride:
Update this thread at the end of summer. It will be awesome to hear how you are doing!  :applause: :ride:

Will do!

Ok,so ye said it would be cool to update this thread later on in the summer so i will. At the moment im doing quite well on the bike and in a pactice at my track i came 6/8 . At the moment the water pump is being rebuilt so no driving till i get the parts but at least i still have the 65 and the pw80 to drive around on

• Like 3

If you can hold the bike's weight up, lean it over so it is at a 45 degree angle and kick to start, then bring it up and go.

• Like 1