split link or riveted

Hi all, this has probably been covered a million times and sorry to bring it up but having raced competetively for many years (CR500 85 & 86 model) and always used a split link in my chain and NEVER had a failure in a split link.

The general feedback i am getting is to rivet the chain and not use a split link but even on my old ZX9 i had a split link, the old CR500 was a bit of a handfull at times but never had a failed split link. ( plus the cost of a decent splitter/riveter)

Edited by Derekj1563
spelling

Master link clip will be just fine.  No need to use a riveted link on a dirtbike unless you are maybe doing high horse hill climbing. The pro off road racers use the standard clipped master link if that helps.

one thing you can do is file a section of the chain guide so when the master clip runs through it won't rub and cause faster wear.I did this and the master link clips last the life of the chain now for me where as I was always replacing them as they would wear down

Thanks again ozglenn, thinking of going to the darkside and getting a new 300ti Husky for the tighter forrest stuff and the klx for rest of playtime!!!!!!!!.