Buying a Fully rebuilt dirt bike?

I used to ride dirtbikes several years back. I know little when it comes to the maintenance. I found a bike for sale in my area, and didn't know if anyone could help me out on if I should stay away from this bike all together? Ill be using the bike for light trails, and riding for fun on the track.   Its from a repair shop, not a private owner. The bike is old, but is fully rebuilt. Here is the posting: 

"97 RM125 Full rebuild top bottom and transmission. New Plastics, Drive train, Radiators, Coolant hoses, Gaskets, Oil seals, Brake Pads, Wheel Bearings, Aftermarket Suspension, New Airfilter, New Cabels, ODI Lock on grips, Moose Throttle Assembly. Good Tires.Asking $2300"

Thanks for any help! 

19956890_317991901981525_6944856953118936858_o.jpg

20024031_317992001981515_5352079626188481147_o.jpg

It is a $800 to $1,000 bike in great shape.

Just because someone spent too much money does not mean they are entitled to get it back. Unless you absolutely must have that bike, the seller has proof of all the work done, I'd pass. It is a 20 year old bike that you will have a hard time getting parts for.

• Like 2

The bike looks sharp !

What made you pick this one out ? Were you even looking for a Suzuki ? A 125? A two stroke ?

Height /weight ?

William's reply wasn't updated yet, and he got to the bottom of where I was going next . I was probing to see why you picked the bike, to see if this was "the one ", or just a happenstance .

If the work done can be verified than its not overpriced by much.

Let's say you buy a working bike for $1000. You ride it for a bit and then you need to start putting work into it.

You start adding up the cost of a top and bottom end , bearings, brakes ,cables, filter, tires, chain and sprockets. What do you think that cost?  Then if you want the bike to look nice there is more money. 

You can easily spend  $1000 for parts refreshing an used bike.

The days of finding a nice bike that doesn't need work for under $1000 are over, at least in my area. 

I'm not saying a fixed up 20 year old rm 125 is going to be a good bike, it's just going to cost you one way or another. 

A grand is what a tip top bike like that is worth. Any problems, you drop the price. You do not increase the value much (a few hundred from bottom dollar) just because it is 'fresh'. It is a regular 20 year old RM125. Not a documented ExPro's machine.

• Like 2

You simply do not put that much money into a bike like that unless you intend to keep it or it is a classic or something very special.  A 1997 RM125 is neither.  The owner screwed up by doing so.

• Like 1

Rebuilt by a person of unknown competence with unknown quality parts.  Adds no value.  I'd rather buy one worn out and unmolested and do my own work.

• Like 3