[S] Engine noise...

Hey TT! I'm trying to get some help disgnosing the engine noise on my 2006 DRZ400 S.

I figured it's better for you to actually hear it, so here's a video of the noise.

Any help is appreciated as I have no idea what is causing this! Thanks.

Get a manual cam chain tensioner. And maybe a new cam chain.

Might as well check your valves while the cover is off too.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

Get a manual cam chain tensioner. And maybe a new cam chain.

Might as well check your valves while the cover is off too.

Ahh ok I have heard those come in handy, Is this noise something I can continue to ride with safely while I wait for the manual tensioner?

Ahh ok I have heard those come in handy, Is this noise something I can continue to ride with safely while I wait for the manual tensioner?

Kind of. Your auto tensioner has stretched your cam chain. I'm not going to say it's 100% safe but you'll probably be ok riding for a bit.

1 minute ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Does the sound change if you pull in the clutch? It doesn't sound all that abnormal for a cell phone recording

How many miles are on it?

No the sound stays the same in neutral, neutral with the clutch in, and first-fifth with clutch in, and the pace of the rattle seems to correlate with the engine RPM.

Then what you hear is likely the valve train but it's hard to say how abnormal it is. Phones exaggerate the simple individual sounds that a motor makes. Still, if you have 10K or plus miles it's probably not a bad idea to change the timing chain. You can also go to the manual tensioner too but my advice is don't install it right away. Listen to what a new chains sounds like 1st with the old tensioner. It should sound the same with the manual. The thing is, you can OVER tighten the manual and make the valve train quieter which will result in faster wear than the auto.

• Like 3