rear brake rotor guard... yes or no?

I came across one of these in a kijiji deal, so I threw it on.   it looked good on the bike, and by the scars on it, and the fact that I had to unbend it once, it obviously takes dome damage.

BUT, I had it come loose one day, and severly wear down my 1 month old brand new hubs!!!   not to mention I ruined my header when trying to unjam this brake rotor guard from my hub.

so.... should I get another, or just leave it off?  do they even really protect anything?  10 years and ive never bend a rear rotor.. or front.

IMG_1889.jpg

Edited by cdf450

I have all the guards but only run them when conditions call for. I've never been bad to hit stuff, there's not a single guard on mine most of the time.

I don't ride technical, rocky terrain without one. Instead of the separate bolt on type like what the old one seems to be, get a one piece , all in one rotor guard, brake caliper mount, axle carrier type. Those don't "come loose".

I bought the Enduro Engineering unit. http://slavensracing.com/shop/brake-disc-guard-rear-for-ktm-husaberg-by-enduro-engineering/

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Trailryder42 said:

I don't ride technical, rocky terrain without one. Instead of the separate bolt on type like what the old one seems to be, get a one piece , all in one rotor guard, brake caliper mount, axle carrier type. Those don't "come loose".

I bought the Enduro Engineering unit. http://slavensracing.com/shop/brake-disc-guard-rear-for-ktm-husaberg-by-enduro-engineering/

I just mounted the EE but had a BPD before and liked it better. Just a bit beefier. I can not picture anything bending it!

http://slavensracing.com/shop/brake-disc-guard-rear-for-ktm-husaberg-by-bullet-proof-designs/

IMG_2408.JPG

• Like 1

I haven't used them on any other bikes bu have bent a couple of disks. My current bike came with the Bullet Proof one piece design. It has scars that I have added. A lot of it depends on where/what terrain you ride. I ride quite a bit of rocky boulder type terrain that increases the risk. I will probably put them on my future bikes after using this one. 

I just decided to get a rear guard and ordered the EE one for my 300 today. I bent mine yesterday for the second time in 2 months on seriously rocky terrain and rotors aren't cheap. If you're riding around big rocks I would definitely recommend; they are less than the cost of a single rotor.

I've got EE guards on both of my KTMs. I ride in PA, mostly on tight, technical trails. This means rocks. Sometimes it means ROCKS. My guards are covered in dings.

I have a nephew with a KTM 300 Six days and he does not run them. Thinks they are over rated, heavy, and not important. I asked what he will do if he bends the rotor on the trail, and he said "you can pull the pads out of the caliper in 30 seconds, just pull and ride it home".

I like mine, and would not ride rocky technical trails without one. YMMV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pat22043 said:

I have a nephew with a KTM 300 Six days and he does not run them. Thinks they are over rated, heavy, and not important. I asked what he will do if he bends the rotor on the trail, and he said "you can pull the pads out of the caliper in 30 seconds, just pull and ride it home".

That's fine if you ride nothing but flat, dry ground. I like a rear brake on hilly, knarly, rocky, even loose and muddy terrain, 30 miles from the truck.

Hell, I run one up front too.

Edited by Trailryder42

2 hours ago, Trailryder42 said:

That's fine if you ride nothing but flat, dry ground. I like a rear brake on hilly, knarly, rocky, even loose and muddy terrain, 30 miles from the truck.

Hell, I run one up front too.

Ride the same terrain - never bought or used a disc protector - never bent a disc.

Have been contemplating after reading this thread ( yeah thanks - more money ) expensive little suckers tho - anyone recommend a good cheapie ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

expensive little suckers tho - anyone recommend a good cheapie ?

I can't. I don't think anything less than an EE or Bullet Proof will do much good. If that is too much, try riding without it. 

4 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

I can't. I don't think anything less than an EE or Bullet Proof will do much good. If that is too much, try riding without it. 

Yeah i have been riding without one   :lol:

• Like 1

Warp 9 from Slavens on my 300. Has plenty of dings on it from just this spring.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kidrman said:

Warp 9 from Slavens on my 300. Has plenty of dings on it from just this spring.

Nothing wrong with these

w9.jpg

• Like 2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-BILLET-REAR-BRAKE-DISC-ROTOR-GUARD-SHARK-125-530-XCW-EXC-SX-SXF-XCF-2015/192107938048?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

that one there looks similar to the warp 9 one.  half the price too.   im afraid it would be brittle though.

heres some stuff I was riding the other day.. what do you guys figure?  you ride rockier? less?  what kinda rocks do you ride that required a front and rear guard?

On 7/18/2017 at 4:34 PM, pat22043 said:

I don't want to go home! It's Sunday. I need to ride! :ride: