What is going on with Craig's list these days?

I posted a bike I have for sale on Craig's list in a couple nearby larger towns. The first five responses were easily identified as PayPal scammers and I had fun wasting their time. The last three responders were a little different. After a few texts back and forth, they would ask for a VIN report which requires a credit card and cost $20-25 dollars. They would provide a link to a sketchy looking web site. They would act all butt-hurt when I would provide them the VIN and invite them to research it all they wanted. They would keep insisting that I provide the report for them and even get insulting. I'm not in the habit of providing my credit card to unknown websites or jumping through a lot of hoops to accommodate a whiny buyer. There are too many red flags with these people but I will have fun wasting their time also. Am I asking too much to meet in a public place, negotiate and exchange the bike for cash? This method has worked well for me in the past when buying or selling. What am I doing wrong? 

• Like 2

You have a vehicle for sale. I assume you also have the title (or MCO/MSO). If a buyer wants to do a VIN search/carfax/mechanics check or whatever, that is on their dime. Period. You are doing nothing wrong.

• Like 11

It's that nature of the beast.

There is another scam you didn't mention that you need to be on the lookout for. This happens alarmingly often to people with dirt bikes but I've had these people call me about a sport bike too. They will ask you to bring the bike somewhere and either rob you at gun point or take off on it during a test ride.

Personally, I make people come to my house or to a police station after I've talked to them and felt them out. I make sure they understand I will shoot them in the face if they make 1 wrong move. Usually at that point the buyer either suddenly remembers he has something to do or says he wants to look at another bike 1st. Criminals don't want anything to do with police and certainly don't want to get shot. A legitimate buyer likely will just laugh and say " Don't worry, I'll have mine too". Remember, a honest buyer is just as worried about getting ripped off and doesn't immediately trust you either. It's pretty easy to tell when you are talking to a real buyer or a hood rat piece of trash.

Use common sense and don't put yourself in sketchy situations and you will eventually sell it . Good luck.

• Like 11

34 minutes ago, William1 said:

You have a vehicle for sale. I assume you also have the title (or MCO/MSO). If a buyer wants to do a VIN search/carfax/mechanics check or whatever, that is on their dime. Period. You are doing nothing wrong.

Yup, title in hand. Thanks.

26 minutes ago, LSHD said:

Those "3" were all the same person. Scam. 

You are probably right.

Craigslist is a virtual shooting gallery anymore. All this is why I up the 10% to the shop up the street to sell my bikes on consignment. Even the "meeting in a public place to negotiate and exchange the bike for cash" is risky as hell now. People find themselves looking down a gun barrel all to often, why the local police department here has set up headquarters parking lot CL sales spots. 

And as for ohiodrz400sm said about coming to your house, gun or not at the time, never, EVER. All is cool, nice guy, looks, "nice bike, but I just can't go that much, sorry for wasting your time". Cases place while there, comes back a couple nights later and steals bike along with the rest of your s**t.. Don't EVER have them come to your house..

• Like 6

You never know.  There are plenty of legit sellers and buyers that use CL, but plenty that aren't.  I had a very good experience last Saturday, drove to Grand Junction to buy a Jeep Cherokee.  I had texted with the guy a bunch over a couple days, everything sounded good, we settled on a price contingent on things being as presented, and we drove up to his house.  He originally wanted 6k, I gave him 5, everyone ended up happy.  I got a very nice, clean low miles XJ and he got 5k for a vehicle he rarely drove but was paying insurance on.

But, the last time I sold something I sold it to a weirdo.  It was a pair of Answer MX boots.  I agreed to meet him outside a business west of town, he turned out to be what appeared to be some tweaker.  Bought the boots, but kept bugging me to go back to my house to see what else he could buy from me.  Right.  Case the place and steal from me later no doubt.  I told him enjoy the boots and got out of there.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

Craigslist is a virtual shooting gallery anymore. All this is why I up the 10% to the shop up the street to sell my bikes on consignment. Even the "meeting in a public place to negotiate and exchange the bike for cash" is risky as hell now. People find themselves looking down a gun barrel all to often, why the local police department here has set up headquarters parking lot CL sales spots. 

And as for ohiodrz400sm said about coming to your house, gun or not at the time, never, EVER. All is cool, nice guy, looks, "nice bike, but I just can't go that much, sorry for wasting your time". Cases place while there, comes back a couple nights later and steals bike along with the rest of your s**t.. Don't EVER have them come to your house..

Nope, nada, never. They will not come to my house ever.

sounds like craigslist is getting dodgy over there to. here in aus I tried looking on craigslist but there was nothing much advertised....I found out later that the local drug dealers were using it to sell pot. the cops cracked down on that and now no one uses it. best to be extra carful wen selling bikes on the internet.

if you have some one looking to buy and asks for a test ride get theyr licence, phone, car keys anything so as they have to come back with your bike and not ride off into the sunset......just my 2 cents.. stay safe and good luck.

• Like 1

I know two guys who had their whole garage stolen, after a party "was going to think about it". I tell CL scammers cash green money in the police station parking lot, they do not call back. Also do not give out the VIN if it has ever been licensed or had a Off Highway Vehicle sticker, those can be tracked to your address. I live a ways away from the police department so I meet at the local convenience store and park it right in front of the front door when they are busy. Sad we have to do business this way. Never had anyone follow me home but I could see that happening as well.

23 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Pussies

As I said, you have to have some common sense about who you have come to the house.

Yeah, even though I look like the Unabomber's big brother I'm really totally trustworthy. :D

You just never know.

• Like 2

Yeah, even though I look like the Unabomber's big brother I'm really totally trustworthy. You just never know. 

I'm 37 so I grew up when you actually had to speak to people, not type to them.I always make the buyer call me. If they are saying "ya'll" and "yo yo cuz" then hell no are they coming to my house. The last bike(R1) I sold on CL was to a realtor. The guy emailed me from his work email originally. After speaking with him I invited him to the house. The 10 previous to him were Cleveland gang bangers. I told them they could meet me at the police station.

Like I said , common sense.

• Like 7

Funny story about the Cherokee I bought last week.  Jeep ran great, we headed home from Grand Junction.  We got to Montrose and stopped for lunch.  I went to restart it and it would start and immediately die.  Tried like 5 times.  We were like, oh crap, now we have to go back to GJ and kick the guy's ass.

Turns out I was trying to start the Jeep with the spare key that didn't have a chip in it. :facepalm:

• Like 9

Phone call(s) are definitely a good way to judge someone. I used that method to get my last Expedition (eBay, but called first) and YZ250. Went to the seller's house to buy the bike after I spent a good deal of time on the phone with him.

• Like 1

I only use craigslist for cars anymore. For bikes, Facebook Marketplace and Offerup. Both of those options require you to be a real person with contact information. You can Facebook stalk people if you want to know if they're super weird. 

• Like 1

Around here Facebook Marketplace is just starting to catch on. The motorcycle dealers pretty much don't have ANY used dirt bikes, just used street bikes, and not even that many of those. Oh there might be the one odd here and there, and the big multi-brand place (Victory, Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Suzuki, KTM) has a few newer trade-ins for high dollar. I asked a couple places why they don't have used dirt bikes, and they said CL took it over completely.

You just have to be careful, both buyer and seller. I like the idea of meeting at a police/fire station (most fire stations here double as police outpost). I bought two used bikes recently, and one guy was very nervous about giving me his address.

What's funny with all the paranoia is if you were selling a bike at a public location other than your house and then you sign over the title to them now they have your address. :p

It's really not that hard.... if the seller/buyer seem sketchy then just wait for another..... :snore:

• Like 4

Yep there's all kinds of illegal scammers on C/L. The easy 1 to spot is the 2016 Ford F-150 short bed in excellent condition for $5,000.00 and you can pay through PayPal, and they have a transporter to deliver truck to your house! Yah Right! I have fun with these scammers. E-mail them ask for an address I'll be in town on a certain day to look at truck. Guess what you never hear from them again!!

• Like 1