Worth getting forks rebuilt ? Or seals and bushings

Hey guys I noticed I bit of oil coming outta one of my front forks and need help deciding weather or not its worth getting a "big" rebuild kit from Yamaha for 150$ CAD , or just do seals bushings and oil change with aftermarket cheaper parts . The big kit comes with oil seals dust seals and slides , not to sure what else to be exact . The guy at the shop said my year of bike is a good year to do the rebuild is he just selling me b.s and the most expensive stuff or will aftermarket be suffice and cheaper . I have a 2010 yz250f , thanks a bunch guys ! I'm total newb, any info , opinions and input much appreciated .

You'll want to do the bushings (aka slides) as well.  It requires zero extra work if you are already doing the seals.  And DO NOT buy them from a shop, they charge about 3x the price compared to online.  But DO go with oem. I've never had any luck with aftermarket seals/bushings.

RM has a full oem kit, and even with international shipping, you'll be better off than going through your local shop.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1049/36719/Yamaha-OE-Fork-Seal-Kit?PID=3329601&ref=cj

• Like 3

In Canada, the genuine KYB fork seals & bushings kit is about 120$ CAD at dealerships.

(all OEM parts in Canada are about 2-1/2 times more expensive versus USA based online vendors)

To OP, yes it's worth spending extra on OEM suspension parts, personally I don't bother with

common aftermarket seals (Pivot Works, All Balls etc.) as they are more often hit or miss quality wise.

(not fun having to tear into a fork you 'rebuilt' a few rides ago because the cheap seal leaks)

I've learned my lesson: use genuine parts, do it once, do it right!

You'll also need a few specialized tools to service your forks,

search for the TBT Racing how-to videos on YouTube about the KYB forks.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

If you just have a small leak and haven't lost must oil you make be able to talk something stiff and thin and clean the seal. You can have brand new seals and get a grain of sand in the wrong place under the seal lip and it will leak like crazy. I bought a "Seal Mate" off ebay. Works like a charm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2FastMoto-Seal-Mate-Saver-Cleaner-Fork-Seals-Sealmate-Dirtbike-Yamaha-/311486841100?epid=2119464138&hash=item488610010c:g:Dp8AAOSwpDdU7kg3&vxp=mtr

I used the all balls kit and I have been really happy with it.  Had both fork legs rebuilt in an evening. It is not hard at all.  Get a seal driver, oil level gauge, and a clean workspace and go to town.

Edited by 0macman0
  • Like 1

As the OP's '14 YZ250F has closed chamber forks, 

he will need a graduated cylinder for the outer tubes rather than an oil level gauge.

The cartridges really don't need a specific amount,

slightly overfilled and cycled they will purge out the excess oil and only the right amount will remain inside.

Edited by mlatour

On 7/16/2017 at 6:23 PM, mlatour said:

In Canada, the genuine KYB fork seals & bushings kit is about 120$ CAD at dealerships.

(all OEM parts in Canada are about 2-1/2 times more expensive versus USA based online vendors)

To OP, yes it's worth spending extra on OEM suspension parts, personally I don't bother with

common aftermarket seals (Pivot Works, All Balls etc.) as they are more often hit or miss quality wise.

(not fun having to tear into a fork you 'rebuilt' a few rides ago because the cheap seal leaks)

I've learned my lesson: use genuine parts, do it once, do it right!

You'll also need a few specialized tools to service your forks,

search for the TBT Racing how-to videos on YouTube about the KYB forks.

On 7/16/2017 at 8:28 PM, DarrellH3 said:

If you just have a small leak and haven't lost must oil you make be able to talk something stiff and thin and clean the seal. You can have brand new seals and get a grain of sand in the wrong place under the seal lip and it will leak like crazy. I bought a "Seal Mate" off ebay. Works like a charm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2FastMoto-Seal-Mate-Saver-Cleaner-Fork-Seals-Sealmate-Dirtbike-Yamaha-/311486841100?epid=2119464138&hash=item488610010c:g:Dp8AAOSwpDdU7kg3&vxp=mtr

I have used the grab end of a tear-off myself before with success. as for OEM parts it may pay-off in the long run to spend an extra $40 at the local dealer.Also you will find that RM does not ship OEM parts across the border.

On 7/17/2017 at 6:23 PM, mlatour said:

As the OP's '14 YZ250F has closed chamber forks, 

he will need a graduated cylinder for the outer tubes rather than an oil level gauge.

The cartridges really don't need a specific amount,

slightly overfilled and cycled they will purge out the excess oil and only the right amount will remain inside.

Bike is '10 not '14

1 hour ago, Rembrand said:

I have used the grab end of a tear-off myself before with success. as for OEM parts it may pay-off in the long run to spend an extra $40 at the local dealer.Also you will find that RM does not ship OEM parts across the border.

I had no problem ordering the OEM kit and also fork seal punch they're on there way !

• Like 1

Maybe it,s just some OEM brands they won,t ship crossborder. I was looking at KTM/Husky parts.