Jump to content

Worth getting forks rebuilt ? Or seals and bushings

Recommended Posts

Hey guys I noticed I bit of oil coming outta one of my front forks and need help deciding weather or not its worth getting a "big" rebuild kit from Yamaha for 150$ CAD , or just do seals bushings and oil change with aftermarket cheaper parts . The big kit comes with oil seals dust seals and slides , not to sure what else to be exact . The guy at the shop said my year of bike is a good year to do the rebuild is he just selling me b.s and the most expensive stuff or will aftermarket be suffice and cheaper . I have a 2010 yz250f , thanks a bunch guys ! I'm total newb, any info , opinions and input much appreciated .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll want to do the bushings (aka slides) as well.  It requires zero extra work if you are already doing the seals.  And DO NOT buy them from a shop, they charge about 3x the price compared to online.  But DO go with oem. I've never had any luck with aftermarket seals/bushings.

RM has a full oem kit, and even with international shipping, you'll be better off than going through your local shop.

 https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1049/36719/Yamaha-OE-Fork-Seal-Kit?PID=3329601&ref=cj

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Canada, the genuine KYB fork seals & bushings kit is about 120$ CAD at dealerships.

(all OEM parts in Canada are about 2-1/2 times more expensive versus USA based online vendors)

 

To OP, yes it's worth spending extra on OEM suspension parts, personally I don't bother with

common aftermarket seals (Pivot Works, All Balls etc.) as they are more often hit or miss quality wise.

(not fun having to tear into a fork you 'rebuilt' a few rides ago because the cheap seal leaks)

 

I've learned my lesson: use genuine parts, do it once, do it right!

 

You'll also need a few specialized tools to service your forks,

search for the TBT Racing how-to videos on YouTube about the KYB forks.

 

 

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you just have a small leak and haven't lost must oil you make be able to talk something stiff and thin and clean the seal. You can have brand new seals and get a grain of sand in the wrong place under the seal lip and it will leak like crazy. I bought a "Seal Mate" off ebay. Works like a charm.

 

 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2FastMoto-Seal-Mate-Saver-Cleaner-Fork-Seals-Sealmate-Dirtbike-Yamaha-/311486841100?epid=2119464138&hash=item488610010c:g:Dp8AAOSwpDdU7kg3&vxp=mtr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used the all balls kit and I have been really happy with it.  Had both fork legs rebuilt in an evening. It is not hard at all.  Get a seal driver, oil level gauge, and a clean workspace and go to town.

 

Edited by 0macman0
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the OP's '14 YZ250F has closed chamber forks, 

he will need a graduated cylinder for the outer tubes rather than an oil level gauge.

 

The cartridges really don't need a specific amount,

slightly overfilled and cycled they will purge out the excess oil and only the right amount will remain inside.

Edited by mlatour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2017 at 6:23 PM, mlatour said:

In Canada, the genuine KYB fork seals & bushings kit is about 120$ CAD at dealerships.

(all OEM parts in Canada are about 2-1/2 times more expensive versus USA based online vendors)

 

To OP, yes it's worth spending extra on OEM suspension parts, personally I don't bother with

common aftermarket seals (Pivot Works, All Balls etc.) as they are more often hit or miss quality wise.

(not fun having to tear into a fork you 'rebuilt' a few rides ago because the cheap seal leaks)

 

I've learned my lesson: use genuine parts, do it once, do it right!

 

You'll also need a few specialized tools to service your forks,

search for the TBT Racing how-to videos on YouTube about the KYB forks.

 

 

 

On 7/16/2017 at 8:28 PM, DarrellH3 said:

If you just have a small leak and haven't lost must oil you make be able to talk something stiff and thin and clean the seal. You can have brand new seals and get a grain of sand in the wrong place under the seal lip and it will leak like crazy. I bought a "Seal Mate" off ebay. Works like a charm.

 

 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2FastMoto-Seal-Mate-Saver-Cleaner-Fork-Seals-Sealmate-Dirtbike-Yamaha-/311486841100?epid=2119464138&hash=item488610010c:g:Dp8AAOSwpDdU7kg3&vxp=mtr

I have used the grab end of a tear-off myself before with success. as for OEM parts it may pay-off in the long run to spend an extra $40 at the local dealer.Also you will find that RM does not ship OEM parts across the border.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2017 at 6:23 PM, mlatour said:

As the OP's '14 YZ250F has closed chamber forks, 

he will need a graduated cylinder for the outer tubes rather than an oil level gauge.

 

The cartridges really don't need a specific amount,

slightly overfilled and cycled they will purge out the excess oil and only the right amount will remain inside.

Bike is '10 not '14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rembrand said:

 

I have used the grab end of a tear-off myself before with success. as for OEM parts it may pay-off in the long run to spend an extra $40 at the local dealer.Also you will find that RM does not ship OEM parts across the border.

I had no problem ordering the OEM kit and also fork seal punch they're on there way !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it,s just some OEM brands they won,t ship crossborder. I was looking at KTM/Husky parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×