Hatfield McCoy trails Matewan

Ok so i just reserved a room for me and 3 friends  oct 25th thru 28th At the Hatfield McCoy resort...... miss Cathy is awesome! Any body have previous or local knowledge of what to do where to go when the sun goes down. Anything to bring besides bikes and tools?  First trip up there and would appreciate any tips or info

Ok so i just reserved a room for me and 3 friends  oct 25th thru 28th At the Hatfield McCoy resort...... miss Cathy is awesome! Any body have previous or local knowledge of what to do where to go when the sun goes down. Anything to bring besides bikes and tools?  First trip up there and would appreciate any tips or info

so what type of trails do you like. the Buffalo mountain side has the most and in my opinion the best single Trac of all. I just added a5 mile section that bypasses all sxs traffic down to Williamson connector. the first 1/2 mile is rough but after that sweet single trac. I have a route laid out that almost eliminates double Trac riding. can do about thirty miles with less than 4 miles of sxs traffic. if you want the hardest it has and a guide let me know I live 1 mile from the Williamson connector I'll show you what we have.
  • Like 1

Thanks its our first trip out there. I think we are just going to throw everything at it and get lost for three days with no where to be and no time to get there.......I'm sure we'll see you out there and hopefully at the bar at night

ekymxracer after reading over my response I think it came out a little wrong. First off its a mixed group. i like tight single track and narly hills.  One friend likes open trails and speed the other has a mx background so its just a mixed bag..... as I was saying we just planned on getting lost and putting many miles on the bikes...... but if you're like us itching to get out the house and go ride..C'MON!  Well never turn down  other riders and local knowledge 

Night life is non-existent in Matewan. Though locals may be putting on a haunted house in the fire hall (Halloween fundraiser).

Mi Pueblito has decent Mexican food.

Wingo's has great BBQ.

My group goes to Matewan around the end of October each year...maybe see you there.

• Like 1

Note, none of the restaurants that I've been to in Matewan serve beer or any other alcohol. They are happy for you to bring in a cooler of your own.

I found the trails on Buffalo Mountain to be challenging. I went there two years ago, and I was not a very good rider. I'm better now, and want to go back. Some of the B-M single track had serious experts working very hard. Pay attention to the trail markings, colors, maps, etc.

While there are rocks, its old coal mines after all, I don't think B-M's rocks are worse than any of the other H-M systems. And they are no match for Pennsylvania rocks, we gots rocks.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just finished a trip to Buffalo Mountain (Oct 19-21). #181 was a briar patch and some sticky mud...not very good. A few singletracks were closed...didn’t notice the signs until after we rode them. However, those trails were loads of fun.

Had bbq at Wingos.

Ran into this dancer while out on the Rock House connector trail

IMG_4259.jpg

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

• Like 1