1991 XR250 Clutch/decomp cables

I'm getting to the point of reassembling my 1991 project bike and I can't quite work out how the clutch cable and auto-decomp cable route.

I bought a genuine honda clutch cable and it has a curved metal pipe part on it, but the clutch actuator arm and the the decomp cable holder seem too close. i think i've gone wrong somewhere, does anyone have any pictures as i can't find anything useful in all my manuals as there seem to be a number of variations.

ClutchCable.JPG

ClutchConn.JPG

this is not the best pic but you can see the clutch cable at the top left looks to have the same bend in the end. pic is from google images  I searched  91xr250 engine close up.

xr250r clutch cable.png

ok - i see the clutch cable - that helps a lot but i could use a close up of the decomp end by the kick start. maybe i have the wrong out cable holder on the crank case ?

hmmm hard to say but the cable holder for the de comp looks right. can you get a pic of the de comp cable and the bracket on the head?

this is the same setup on my xl250 the de comp cable should have 2 nuts on the kickstart end for adjustmet. but more pix would help.....cheers

so i found these pics rummaging in google images - which suggest i have it right, its just the cables on the kickstart end run closer than i would have expected.

i'll see how it goes together

DecompHead.JPG

DecompKick.JPG

I just took these pix of the xl I had to make the bracket as it was missing and I made the cable you can just see the adjustment nuts might explain better??

xl de comp cable 001.JPG

xl de comp cable 002.JPG

thanks for taking those - most helpful  - i'll see how it looks on mine in the morning

Just thought I should mention. Theres an auto decomp and a manual decomp. Auto meaning automatic. Which something you have to actuate a cable via lever is NOT automatic.

If you are messing with a cable. Then you are messing with the manual decomp. The auto decomp is completely inside. On cam and right under it.

I take my autos out, weld the hole closed, and only rock the manual decomp 

Besides that... Id most definitely follow vics lead.

i think i have this sorted now, i had the out holders the wrong way round.

there is provision for 2 cables, one for auto decomp and one for the manual. i don't have the manual lever but i don't suppose it's anything special.

we'll see how it starts, on my xr400 i only use the manual decomp if i flood it but it does come in handy at that point.

thanks for the help

11 hours ago, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

Just thought I should mention. Theres an auto decomp and a manual decomp. Auto meaning automatic. Which something you have to actuate a cable via lever is NOT automatic.

If you are messing with a cable. Then you are messing with the manual decomp. The auto decomp is completely inside. On cam and right under it.

I take my autos out, weld the hole closed, and only rock the manual decomp 

Besides that... Id most definitely follow vics lead.

sorry Eric but this is an auto de comp. the de comp is activated by a cam on the kick start shaft that pulls the cable connected to the de comp in the head de compressing as you kick. there is no manual leaver to be pulled by hand. there is no auto de comp on the camshaft. I think you may be thinking of the later model.

1991 xr250 camshaft.png