woods-rider

RV AC Help

4 posts in this topic

So, a while ago I bought a new in the box rooftop AC unit for my travel trailer from a guy on craigslist. Unfortunately, I didn't get around to installing it until now and I may have been ripped off, but maybe I just screwed something up.

When I am plugged into shore power and I turn the AC unit on to "cool" nothing happens, the compressor doesn't run, the fan doesn't run, nothing. If I turn it onto just "fan" nothing happens either.

I took the cover off the top to check if there was power up there and there is a full 115V going to the compressor and the fan. All 4 wires on the compressor (grey, blue, red, brown in the pic below) have 115V when the switch is in the "cool" position.

I took some resistance measurements between the compressor terminals, but don't know what to make of them other than it doesn't seem to be shorted or a broken wire inside.

I got:

0.5 ohms between R and C

3.7 ohms between S and C

4 ohms between R and S

Any help, insight, advice, or name calling appreciated.

57AA91A9-57FB-4FDD-A5BC-65789EA67077_zpsk1wrqfbx.jpg

94998FC0-9C94-453E-8CB9-C40D3A58A1ED_zpswrdbhzd7.jpg

60FB57F2-20D0-41BB-90CE-34A6D84815A2_zpszvfkiwvd.jpg

IMG_0192.JPGIMG_0193.JPGIMG_0194.JPGIMG_0195.JPG

Have a home AC guy you trust? Nothing different.

I don't. I also don't want to pay for someone to fix it as I could probably buy a new one for about $100 more than that would cost.

I think I'll look into testing the capacitor and starter relay next.

Good luck. For whatever reason elect stuff is very alien to me, just don't have any understanding. And its scary too!