YZ125 seat height, lower it to TTR230 height?

Hi guys, I made a thread about finding a bike for myself to ride with my son about a week or 2 ago and it was recommended that I go with a TTR230 and that was my assessment too given the size of these bikes.  However, I have narrowed my choices down to 2 bikes in my area that both look very clean and both look almost new. 

2007 TTR230  $1800

2014 YZ125 $2700 

I have no idea why this kid is selling the 125 so cheap, but it's super clean and has a title, etc. 

How difficult is it to get the seat of the YZ down to the height of the TTR230?  I am aware of the geometry problems with lowering links and want to do this the right way, but I also want to get out riding asap.  I'm 5'3" with a roughly 28in inseam and I toe tap on the TTR230's 34.3in seat. 

Basically, will shaving seat, sag, and pushing the forks up in the clamps be enough to get where I want to be? 

I was told not to get a 125 to putt around with the kids on trails, but it's 60lbs lighter than the 230, so I'm very much contemplating getting it anyway. 

Edited by beastykato

All three are lowering tricks but.... The seat will feel like riding a brick, the sag and forks pushed up will mess with the way the bike handles, and true, a 125 likes to be ran like a chain saw. 

Where is that 2014 YZ125 for 2700 located. I will go check it out and tell you if it is a good deal:)

lol.  It's in PA that's all I can tell ya.  If it wasn't so damn nice for that price I wouldn't even be contemplating this, but if I can make this work and it's so much nicer and lighter.

It seems like it would be easier to make the 125 a woods bike than to make the 230 come anywhere close in the handling department. 

Standard sag is 1/3 of the total travel correct?  So, the bike should sink approx. 4in on that alone yes?

As for a 125 as a trail bike I've never had one but I see some people saying "no way" and other's saying they are the best trail bikes in the world with a flywheel weight? 

I'm not saying "no way" for it being a 125 2 stroke trail bike. In an experienced set of hands it is easier "to be a trail bike'. Inexperience rider on it will be harder to maintain momentum and control for someone learning technique of "how" to ride a 125 in woods on trails. Yes, a FWW will be your friend. I don't know you or your riding experience so I caution to easy, gain confidence, than get a track bike to ride trails in the woods. 

So go get it already as that deal is very sweet.  

To make your decision more difficult.  I have a 13' yz125, a TTR 230 and a couple 450's in my garage.  I do believe the 125 sits even taller than the 450s.  New riders love the TTR even though it is a pig.  The YZ they struggle with.  If the YZ wasn't such a good deal we wouldn't be having the conversation.  If you plan on progressing past following the kid around it is a tough one to pass up.

• Like 2