yz85 clutch problems

I recently bought a used yz85 2002, runs well starts first kick every time, but i've noticed it has a problem with the clutch. When i pull the clutch in and start it while in gear it grabs and will drive as if im not touching the clutch. So i held the bike in place with clutch in and kept revving it and then it worked and idled, but then i let go of clutch and it stayed slipping and would not drive at all till i stopped the bike and went to neutral and back to first. I dont know what the problem is, my friend told me i have weak clutch springs and to replace it but someone online said that there might be grooves in the basket, please help though Ive never heard of a problem or had a problem like this with any of my bikes. thanks, payten.

Payten, dump the old oil and look for anything strange in the bottom of the tub. Now remove the clutch cover and give everything a through inspection. Check springs for length, clutch plates(friction and steels) for thickness/warping/overheating. Give the basket a close eyeball for grooves and unusual ware patterns.
And don't overlook the cable. Could be stretched out . Report back w/findings. G.

IMG_0910.JPGIMG_0912.JPGIMG_0911.JPG
My friend told me the grooves aren't that bad, I wanted a better opinion. The oil was black and all the plates were sticky but no warps or heat damage from what I know. Springs didn't look to bad. I suggested new inner hub but lmk what you think, thanks.

Well Payten, , they look pretty buggered up to me. Search around your area and see if you can find a good used set
(hub&basket,all the plates and springs). Or search online. It all comes down to how much $$you want to spend.
Best advise I can give you is "do it right the first time". This will save you a bunch of money and time later. I'd replace those parts. Good luck with your project. G.

How do the plates look to you? I might try to file down the grooves. I reset the plates and changed the oil with high hopes but no good same problem. If smoothing out the grooves doesn't solve the problem then ill start looking for inner hub and clutch basket. I have enough money to pay for the fix but I was trying to save it for my full size bike

Yeah, you can try to file down the grooves if you feel energetic, but that gets old real quick(ask how I know).
Anyway, once all your filing is done you have increased the spacing between the hub/basket and plates. The rotational forces(clockwise/counterclockwise) whatever they are will still beat on the hub/basket. Thus, causing more wear(steel plates against aluminum= beat up hub/basket) like you currently have.
Hope I explained that right, if you can see my theory. In conclusion,
I feel your wasting your time w/the file.
Find some newer/better parts and be done with it.
Good part hunting and keep us advised. G,

I ordered a used innerhub and basket set for 60$ so I'll see how It goes. Had small grooves but better condition than mine. Fingers crossed

Installed new clutch and now the plunger barely moves. I'll pull the clutch in all the way and it doesn't move enough to push out the pressure plate. This is before and after pulling clutch. IMG_0925.JPGIMG_0924.JPG
The actuator was all the way out as well IMG_0926.JPG

8 minutes ago, payten said:

Installed new clutch and now the plunger barely moves. I'll pull the clutch in all the way and it doesn't move enough to push out the pressure plate. This is before and after pulling clutch. IMG_0925.JPGIMG_0924.JPG
The actuator was all the way out as well IMG_0926.JPG

I had similar problem after replacing my clutch. Yz125 is a push rod style with a little ball. I pulled the ball and the rod, inspected and then returned. No change. Still the same symptoms as your having. 

I for one agree the cable could be stretched out. Try running your wheel back and forth on the clutch perch and see if that helps anything. 

Well the arm is all the way so I don't think it would be the cable stretching as seen in the picture. I think I lost the ball cuz when I pulled the plunger out I recall hearing a clink but in the basket so I pulled the whole case apart and never found anything. Do you think it needs the ball?

23 minutes ago, payten said:

Well the arm is all the way so I don't think it would be the cable stretching as seen in the picture. I think I lost the ball cuz when I pulled the plunger out I recall hearing a clink but in the basket so I pulled the whole case apart and never found anything. Do you think it needs the ball?

Yes. 

Hey Payten, , I would double check you have all your parts installed correctly. Primarily in photo#3. See the actuating lever? Where the cable attaches to? That lever is completely out of sync !
Meaning, it should be facing inward across the transmission case, not forward as your photo shows. So, you have no lever movement! Thus no clutch. I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't look right.
When all else fails check the Manuel. G.

Sent from my SM-G930P using ThumperTalk mobile app

Thanks for the help, got it working about 2 days ago. The new basket helped and it was missing the ball so it didn't have enough to push it out, payten