Flat Track Advise

After nearly a 70 year absents, Flat Tracking is returning to my town Pendleton Oregon. Home of the Historic Pendleton Round "Let'er Buck"

Thunder in the Blues: Facebook page, A Flat Track group out of Boise is organizing the 1/4 mile event on the clay track in the Round Up fairgrounds

My goal is to participate in this historic event in the "knobby group" on my 2001 DR650 sporting a new 17" Shinko 705 rear and 21" Pirelli Rally Cross front.

Currently signed up in the Knobby Group and joined AMA

Experience includes lots of dirt, motocross and some OMRRA road racing early in life and over 40 years of street and current Track day enthusiast. 

Realistically, I understand that my day will be over quite quickly, But just want to be able to make a few laps around this 1/4 mile horse track on my Bush Pig Thumper, make some cool noise with the FMF silencer, and spin the $#C& out the rear wheel powering out of the corner.

I get the basic body position and premise : High up on the outside edge of the seat, weight up on the front wheel and pressing in with the outside knee to coax the the bike over to initiate steering with the rear and adjusting the front wheel and throttle to modulate the power slide. Start high, shoot for the apex and drift out.

Suggestions for bike set up, riding tips, and other words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Tire Pressures ?   Should I drop the fork tube down?  And even bother lowering the factory lower link adjustment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

• Like 1

I suggest less focus on the bike and more on your physical condition/balance/reflexes. Since you already know just finishing will be 'a win', keep an eye on that. Even on a perfectly setup flat track bike, you are not going to hop on and do 90 mph feet up full power slides. Chances are, the first time the back gets loose you will go down and be wondering what happened.

In my youth, I could run lap after lap of flat out, feet up slides with one hand on the bars. Now, my reaction time is so bad that any traction loss makes me pucker. It is called being realistic. So hit the track, stay out of peoples way. First lap, stay planted. Next lap, go a little faster and so on. Then if you survive, you can determine what needs to be changed to suit YOUR riding style for the next event.

• Like 2

Well here is the results of my first Flat Track experience. You may want to skip to the one minute time to save your self the some boredom of waiting for the gate to open.

• Like 1