Recommendations for Moderate Trails at Capital Forest

Looking for recommendations for trails at Capital Forest. I have never ridden there and bringing my son who is gradually becoming an intermediate rider - I am probably an intermediate+ rider.

Looking at the maps for the area it is not clear which trails would be suitable.

Staging recommendations appreciated as well.

Hey zoom, I take my 15 year old beginner son to waddel creek and do the Waddell creek loop, great staging area right past the camp grounds

On 7/16/2017 at 9:20 AM, clayfarrer said:

Here's a video of that trail with my Kid

https://youtu.be/iT9vz2JxoKI

That's a pretty good representation of whats around the Waddel Creek area, which is also the primary stating area.

The Waddel Basin loop trail is a pretty good intermediate trail, drop-off can get pretty steep in places on the east trail along the ridge so keep that in mind depending on how green your son is.
But everything down in the valley is pretty mellow so I'd stick to that if you guys are newer.
I recommend riding out of the Middle Waddel parking lot and taking the Waddel Basin West trail. It's a pretty easy dual track trail with some moderate elevation gain.
Stay the the right on the next two intersections, and it'll drop you back into the valley along Waddel Creek for some mellow trail riding.
If you're feeling up for it, continue on and it will cross the river and head back towards Middle Waddel, however it does climb up the ridge a ways and the drop off on the side can be pretty steep.

Get yourself a map on your phone from here:
http://www.dnr.wa.gov/MobileMaps

Edited by Michael Cahill
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2017 at 8:31 AM, zoomdude57 said:

Looking for recommendations for trails at Capital Forest. I have never ridden there and bringing my son who is gradually becoming an intermediate rider - I am probably an intermediate+ rider.

Looking at the maps for the area it is not clear which trails would be suitable.

Staging recommendations appreciated as well.

The entire area is great for folks that have learned the basics of riding, are getting up arounds intermediate or beyond. As suggested, what you don't want to do is spend the entire day trying to find the trails, getting unlost....It can be extremely confusing and irritating out there as a new rider/new to area. The property is huge, so have a map and a trail app running.

I prefer the Rock Candy parking area, and find that running up and down the Rim Rock and Rock Candy trails out of that parking lot are great for learning and getting better at switchbacks and dealing with elevation going up and down....essential skills for graduating to the mountains. When you are done, the BBQ place 1 mile west of the entrance is a favorite of mine to bask in the glory of a wonderful day riding. 

• Like 2

When riding out of Rock Candy up to the ridge, then down into Waddell Basin, up to the C-4000 road and back to Rock Candy you can accumulate over 4500 feet of accent and 4500 feet of descent . 

Some other trails to practice on for the mountains are the Twin Peaks and Slide trails.  Twin Peaks from the C-8200 road up to the C-4000 road is a good climb with switchbacks above the Divide trail.  The slide Trails has a few tight switchbacks with loose soil/gravel near its mid point.  Both are more challenging than the two routes from Rock Candy Staging to the ridge.
If you are still frisky after a few loops on those then go up and down the Grunt Trails on the east side of Capitol Peak (off the Capitol Peak Trail or C-7400 & Divide Tr).

• Like 1

Here is a video that covers many of the trails at Cap Forest I made for opening day the previous year. Whatever you do, do NOT touch the abandoned car on the Grunt Trail. 

Great info from all and I appreciate that you took the time to respond. Remind me of a decent trail map app?

I use AllTrails but I suspect there might be better ones. I primarily use mine to avoid getting lost. I turn on record and it tracks where I go and all sorts of stats. I can later attach photos from the trip and do analysis on computer. My profile there is also tigertanker, so feel free and pull up my account and look at some of my maps for an idea how it works. 

• Like 1

I prefer the DNR map for CF and it runs on Avenza, both are free. And I will add that it is very easy to become lost in CF, the good news is the roads are signed at intersections and trails are signed at road crossings. Bad news is some of the trail signs with the old names still exist on trails (not at road crossings).

Link to early info on the DNR map, Avenza is now avail for google systems. https://washingtondnr.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/top-5-reasons-to-download-the-new-capitol-state-forest-map-onto-your-smartphone/

Link to download the PDF map: http://file.dnr.wa.gov/publications/eng_rms_capmapnu_may2.pdf

If you want a map for a Garmin: http://www.switchbacks.com/gpsmaps.aspx
The trail map includes all of the roads but it uses the old trail names. I prefer this map because the topo has too much clutter for the Garmin screen. But I use the topo map on my PC for route planning.

On edit: Newer website for a bunch of smartphone DNR maps: http://www.dnr.wa.gov/MobileMaps

Avenza now has a Pro version for an annual fee but you can still use it free but with only 3 maps on the smartphone. Usually not a problem for most. The work around if you want another map is to delete one and then install the new map.

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 2