Wits end with the shifter getting under the stator cover.

Tried making a guide for the shifter to guide it up the case, but it was aluminum and it would get stuck in the up position because of friction. Took that off out of frustration on the trail side. Said many curse words after that as the shifter would somehow get pushed inward under the stator and not allow me to upshift. I under stood if I was going up ruts/rocks/roots and it happened ,but it seemed to happen for no reason at times(must be my foot?). Think I'm going to try making a piece of metal that bolts to the wrap around rock guard and has a flat surface that is flush with the stator cover surface. Any other ideas? I feel like the newbie that doesn't know when to upshift on some of my single track adventures of late.

The only thing I can think of is that you have a stomping technique to your shifting. Check the shifter for weak welds, worn splines and looseness on the shaft.

I affixed a piece of truck bed mat to mine. Not to prevent it from getting stuck under the stator cover, as I've never had that problem, but to prevent the shifter from possibly putting a hole in the cover in a crash.

I swapped out my stock shifter long ago. I run the longer IMS shifter.

XR shifter.jpg

Edited by Trailryder42

you might have the shift lever mounted one tooth on the spline to low, you could move it up one and see if it works better for you.

sounds to me like there is something is worn or come loose? I would not think the shift shaft should move in that much. have you checked it for play?

id check the shift leaver and the shift shaft to track down what is actually moving. you should not need some thing for the leaver to rub against.

you might have the shift lever mounted one tooth on the spline to low, you could move it up one and see if it works better for you.

I had better luck with it up one but I'm 6'3 and my ankles like it back down one to where when it is resting it is at the bottom of the case. I also had it raised two rides ago and that was the ride I broke the shifter shaft off. It appeared like a torsional break so I must have a heavy foot with it in that higher slot.
Next ride I'll be trying this out. It's a guard/mount for a plate of aluminum to make the shifter throw one continuous surface. I'll see. IMG_1147.JPGIMG_1148.JPG

Is your shift lever getting bent all the time, or is the shift-shaft moving in and out, causing the lever to hit the case?

There is a circlip on the shaft which,( if the shaft gets a knock like when bike falls over,) pops out of it's groove and lets the shaft move sideways.

Normally shaft would not move more than a couple of millimetres.

It's the long shifter, my stock one misses by a mile. What you have there misses the case indentation.

Is your shift lever getting bent all the time, or is the shift-shaft moving in and out, causing the lever to hit the case?
 There is a circlip on the shaft which,( if the shaft gets a knock like when bike falls over,) pops out of it's groove and lets the shaft move sideways.
   Normally shaft would not move more than a couple of millimetres.

Just bends inward is all

I had better luck with it up one but I'm 6'3 and my ankles like it back down one to where when it is resting it is at the bottom of the case. I also had it raised two rides ago and that was the ride I broke the shifter shaft off. It appeared like a torsional break so I must have a heavy foot with it in that higher slot.
Next ride I'll be trying this out. It's a guard/mount for a plate of aluminum to make the shifter throw one continuous surface. I'll see. IMG_1147.thumb.JPG.95674a3add0b5e8698ea213e29a38c4d.JPGIMG_1148.thumb.JPG.49da711b5c9ae9e68b9f5fb69cf81cdc.JPG

With the history of broken shift shafts thought a little protection from rocks, ruts and roots would be a plus.

Hit some single with rocks,roots and peg swallowing ruts. The part of the guard that stands out bent up a bit from a hit on something and my shifter stayed swinging correctly the whole ride.

That shift guard assembly you installed looks like it will hurt like hell in the event of a crash!

That shift guard assembly you installed looks like it will hurt like hell in the event of a crash!

It's well beyond my toe. What's it going to hit? So far seems like good insurance for the trails I ride which have already broke a shifter shaft.