Jumped out of gear

Anyone ever have there bike jump out of gear before? I was in a wheelie just shifted into 5th and not long after jumped out of or into a mid gear scared the shit outta me I figured my chain blew off and while I was rolling came back in, bike rode home fine afterwards.

you probably just 'short-shifted' it in the heat of battle and didnt kick the shifter a full stroke... yeah its happened to me in different gears and on different bikes .. usually happens to me when im not in the groove like when a cute girl is smiling at me pulling away from a light, it kicks out and revs hard and i feel like a moron ..

Edited by cowpie
  • Like 4

Not into a false nuetral.
I had a YZ250 that started down shifting on its own under heavy load. If you think you were scared, try having a bike down shift on the face of a steel freestyle ramp, I was startled to say the least.
Anyway, the problem was the shift stopper arm bearing had failed .

If you shifted into false neutral that's operator error. If the bike was in 5th and suddenly dropped out, that is something I would keep an eye on.

Not into a false nuetral.
I had a YZ250 that started down shifting on its own under heavy load. If you think you were scared, try having a bike down shift on the face of a steel freestyle ramp, I was startled to say the least.
Anyway, the problem was the shift stopper arm bearing had failed .

If you shifted into false neutral that's operator error. If the bike was in 5th and suddenly dropped out, that is something I would keep an eye on.

Yea it was into 5th and I was on the throttle for about 3-5 seconds before it took the jump, that down shift on the freestyle ramp was just getting you ready for a back flip!

you probably just 'short-shifted' it in the heat of battle and didnt kick the shifter a full stroke... yeah its happened to me in different gears and on different bikes .. usually happens to me when im not in the groove like when a cute girl is smiling at me pulling away from a light, it kicks out and revs hard and i feel like a moron ..

Do yea think it would take the gear and then slip?

Yea it was into 5th and I was on the throttle for about 3-5 seconds before it took the jump, that down shift on the freestyle ramp was just getting you ready for a back flip!

Not able to pull the trigger on that yet even though I have it perfected on a bmx bike in the foam put at Ray's Mountain Bike's. Some day...
  • Like 1