Ideals on lowering a 250cc bike

My 11 year old is riding a 85 cc and wanted to ride my 250 " if you can start it you can ride it" well guess what, 2nd kick braaap! Off he goes and was twice as fast as his 85, but he's only 5'1". We trail ride only and he needs to be able to touch on occasion. Not going to buy new rims/spokes! Any help appreciated

Depends on the make/mode/year and how much you want to lower it. Seat to ground is based on leg inseam and not body height. It also makes a difference if he is running MX (Ricky Carmichael is finally pushing upwards of 5'6", he started at barely 5') or treacherous single track and needs to barely touch a toe or be able to hit with both feet.

Best way to lower a bike is with the use of internal spacers in the forks and shock, then valving and springs to suit. Some only need a inch and can get that through seat having or sub frame mods.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, William1 said:

Depends on the make/mode/year

What bike is it ?

I think you max you can lower a bike is about 3 inches ?:excuseme:

• Like 1

I put spacers in the forks and shock to lower one for my wife.

All new springs.

All new valving to make up for the springs and lowering.  The valving especially needs to change in the rear with linkage as you will be riding lower in the stroke.  

He was riding my 01 yz250, but that my bike and he's not getting it! I've rode it for I think 14 years lol so it's mine! Maybe the question should be which bike is the easiest, I guess. Anything after 2000 year would be good.

26 minutes ago, Smoking 2's said:

He was riding my 01 yz250, but that my bike and he's not getting it! I've rode it for I think 14 years lol so it's mine! Maybe the question should be which bike is the easiest, I guess. Anything after 2000 year would be good.

Lowering any bike properly takes the same effort.

• Like 1

My initial thought was a little on the forks, as in touching handle bars, rear spring at super soft and then shave the seat! I know not the best ideals but we're riding at a little over a cruise on trails so no 90' for us. If that helps!