Chain jumped off while trail riding!

Soooo this happened a couple days ago..... I'm ok and the bike is relatively ok. Total freak situation. The stick (3rd pic) somehow jammed in my chain and knocked it off the rear sprocket while trail riding today. The stock case saver sacrificed itself and kind of did its job. Thankfully it kept the wadded up chain from smashing through the engine case but one of the engine flanges that it bolts to snapped clean off (pic 4). Took awhile with lots of sweat and deep breaths to get the chain unstuck as it was jammed very tightly against the front of the swingarm and the countershaft sprocket. Eventually we were able to get the chain unstuck and back on so I could ride home. Good times lol.

FYI, the chain and sprockets were all in good condition and properly lubed. I was riding in very fine, dusty dirt which is the reason for the color of the chain. And the shiny rear sprocket is damage from the chain running along side the sprocket until I got stopped. Special note is that I removed the stock plastic chain heel guard the day before because it was broken from a previous unrelated incident. Not sure if that would have helped in this situation or not. I'll never know. Now I have to replace all parts just to be safe. 

chainstuck.jpg

chainoff.jpg

chainstick.jpg

chainguard.jpg

• Like 2

At least the case saver did its job.

What are you going to do about the broken case piece ? - weld - jb weld ?

• Like 2

GTAW the broken piece. Will be stronger than stock.

• Like 1

That is bad luck!

I once forgot to put the clip on a chain joining link on a rd350lc. The chain wrapped around the front sprocket and ripped a lug off like yours. But unfortunately it took a piece of crankcase with it and dumped all the gearbox oil out :(

Edited by Garth Knight
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, seedy said:

GTAW the broken piece. Will be stronger than stock.

11 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

At least the case saver did its job.

What are you going to do about the broken case piece ? - weld - jb weld ?

I haven't decided yet. I should probably do it the right way but I really want/need to get the bike up and back on the road ASAP so I'm not sure. Buying the replacement parts is really going to set me back right now. 

2 hours ago, Garth Knight said:

That is bad luck!

I once forgot to put the clip on a chain joining link on a rd350lc. The chain wrapped around the front sprocket and ripped a lug off like yours. But unfortunately it took a piece of crankcase with it and dumped all the gearbox oil out :(

That was my fear when this happened. 

I de railed a chain riding out of a an erosion rut once. I reflect on how lucky I was that neither the bike or myself were injured.

Although I note both my XR250 and CR125 had damaged cases also. I assume from an incident like yours.

I would have it welded if I were you. If no one wants to touch it JB it.

• Like 1

Can you make a bracket to come off the engine mount to support the top of the new case saver. And just leave the lug off?

1 hour ago, Garth Knight said:

Can you make a bracket to come off the engine mount to support the top of the new case saver. And just leave the lug off?

Maybe so.

The chain guide needs replaced. There is a reason why the oem ones are rigid.  

My son runs a flexible TM designs on his moto bike and it says in the documentation to not off-road with it.  A rock or stick will derail the chain without a rigid chain guide.  

21 hours ago, jlaney81 said:

The chain guide needs replaced. There is a reason why the oem ones are rigid.  

My son runs a flexible TM designs on his moto bike and it says in the documentation to not off-road with it.  A rock or stick will derail the chain without a rigid chain guide.  

Are you talking about the white plastic piece on the lower end of the chain? 

chainguide.jpg

2014 CRF150F lower chain guide on a 2013 CRF250L .........  :thumbsup:    It is very heavy duty compared to stock 

1434827789818.jpg

• Like 1