Showa TC forks on YZ 250

I have a 2003 YZ 295 , and the stock forks are too harsh for trail riding. I have a complete 2001 CR 250 front end complete, everything, sitting in my shed that I bought for another project a couple years ago. I know it may be sacrilege, but its all paid for! Has anyone tried this? I'm a 61 yr. old woods rider with bad knees, and I don't need to "ultamatise" anything. Just want a front end that doesn't hammer me on every rock and tree root.!

Edited by ventabular
typos

If those CR250 forks are Showa TC47's (closed cartridge) 

I think you'd be way ahead in refurbishing and fine tuning your current YZ (KYB) open chamber forks for trail riding.

The first thing would be to confirm the spring rates are matched to your weight and type of riding.

Edited by mlatour

My thing is that the TC forks are a generation ahead. Why couldn't I, say match the valving  or a CRF 250X. From what I've read, they are some pretty good forks. I also get a better front brake with the deal. 

I just happen to own a CRF250X and in stock form, the forks are still way too stiff for tight technical trail riding,

especially absorbing square edged hits (rocks) without deflecting.

The CRF250X is often marketed as a trail bike but it's actually set-up more as an off-road racer and faster speeds in mind.

Luckily I love wrenching/testing on this stuff as I'm currently on re-valve #10 with these forks, slowly but surely improving them to my tastes.

Spring rate, spring preload, valving, oil volume have all been softened & lowered considerably.

In my case what has also added another variable were worn ICS piston and rod seals (somewhat common in these forks)

which seemed fine during re-assembly but allowed air to enter the cartridge after a few rides, changing the damping characteristics.

If you still proceed with the Showa TC47's, I'll send you a list of my latest valving experiments.

Edited by mlatour

Will contact All Balls for some bearings, don't know about the stem yet. Trying to get everything figured out beforehand, as to minimize downtime. Thanks for the valving offer. May take you up on it. Did you buy the piston, and seals OEM?

Edited by ventabular

Internal OEM Showa seals not commonly found online, they're usually purchased thru specialized suspension shops like Factory Connection etc.

Myself only use OEM forks seals and bushings, other forum members have posted good results but I've

never had much luck with anything All Balls or Pivot Works lasting more than a few rides.

Bearings might be okay but from what I've experienced, the seal material is much less pliable and prone to damage.

Edited by mlatour