yz450f tight trail gearing

Hello,

I have a 06 yz450f, it has 14 tooth front sprocket and 50 tooth in the rear. With this set up I have to use the clutch all the time when on a hard hill climb. Just wondering if anyone knows any good gearing ratios for this bike to make it a good trail bike.

thanks for the help!

2 minutes ago, havaride said:

I'd run a 13t up front. Should turn that thing into a tractor

thanks man!!

• Like 2

yep 13 and maybe a 52 on the back as well - depending on if you want less top speed or not

• Like 1

13/55 should do it  You are using the wrong bike for the application.

Edited by GlennRay

IMO on my cfr250R that I ONLY ride in tight technical single track 13/51 for a good all around compromise for low end/speed BUT putting on an 11OZ flywheel weight was the best $200 I ever spent on my bike.

Yes the 250R is not a woods bike BUT I do love it and again IMO the FWW is KEY

• Like 1

Yes FWW and jetting will stop those annoying flameouts - have a heavier flywheel on my 450sx and it never flames out

• Like 1

On 7/16/2017 at 11:23 PM, Hoosier-Daddy said:

I was happy with 13/51 and a heavy flywheel.

What weight flywheel? 

7 hours ago, Branden16 said:

What weight flywheel? 

I see you quoted some else but I chime in and as I posted, on my 05 CFR250R I went with a Stealthy 11 oz cus I had 9,11,13,15 oz as options and figured 11oz was a good compromise. I'm happy with the 11 but I could have gone 13 or even 15 IMO.

I just did a quick search on their site and looks like they have an 7oz and 11oz full flywheel replacement for your bike but you should confirm what is correct for your bike if you choose to install one.

https://www.steahlyoffroad.com/yamaha-yz-450f-06-09-complete-flywheel-834

Basically you need the weight, puller, outer gasket and having an impact to remove the nut is key (put the bike in gear and have a buddy hold the bike while pressing the rear break to loosen). When installing I tighten the nut with a 1/2 drive breaker bar with the bike in gear and a bud pressing the rear brake cus you need the nut tight but it is self tightening.

Maybe someone with a 450F has a better suggestion on the weight.

Sorry I'm slightly bored :)

You guys are out of your god damn tree with these gearing suggestions! My 06 will do anything I throw at it with 14/50 and stock fly wheel. Anything lower than that and I would get passed by 125's on fire roads.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Woodsweapon350 said:

You guys are out of your god damn tree with these gearing suggestions! My 06 will do anything I throw at it with 14/50 and stock fly wheel. Anything lower than that and I would get passed by 125's on fire roads.

Do you have to use the clutch alot?

Do you have to use the clutch alot?

Not any more than normal I would say. That's a tough question as clutching becomes second nature but i don't think I use it that much

On 7/19/2017 at 0:32 PM, Branden16 said:

What weight flywheel? 

sorry for delayed reply- TT and email server weren't agreeing.  The gytr off road fly wheel is 9.21 oz.  It would take a heavier steahly to get the same effect.  You can search "flywheel- gytr or steahly" for a good explanation why.  I would suggest using a puller if you do go with a flywheel.  I loved what it did to my 09

Just went to 14/49 from 13/51 on my 450x because I just road registered it again. Am using second gear and plenty of clutch work and getting better traction on hillclimbs than before. Bike has fww. Yes I know is not ideal for tech single track but I like riding it up hills more than my 200

Sent from my SM-G900I using ThumperTalk mobile app

I can't comment on flywheel weight as I'm running stock.

I however am running 13/51 on my YZ400f and it's perfect!
1st is slow enough that I can get through tough stuff without hitting the clutch constantly, and 2nd/3rd is perfect for typical trails.

I definitely feel it on long straight stretches and fire roads, but that's not a big deal for me.

Bottom line, we're both riding the wrong bike for the application! :p
So any gearing changes are going to be a compromise between low-end usability and high speed operation.