Do you slide your forks up in the clamps?

Hello there, I have a 12 yz450f. I've searched the web for suspension settings and found the mxa articles with reviews and preferences from test riders. I'll go with their suggestions on clicker settings and a sag of 100mm. I'm wondering if you raise the fork height in the clamps. Mxa articles say the clamps are flush. I found some mag articles on older yz450s (2006) which suggest raising the forks 4-5mm. The suspension hasn't changed much over the years because it is so good but I'm sure the frame has changed, the geometry of the bike with the reverse motor, etc.  The mxa articles say it's important to keep the bike balanced and therefore be sure to set the sag right. Do you guys raise your forks in the clamps? I am a 45 year old c/b vet motocrosser racing in the north east on a fairly hard packed track. Local riders suggest raising the forks but I know the balance of the frame is important on this bike. I tried stock and tried raising them and could not tell a difference and my lap times were similar. I would like it set up best so that when I can benefit from it as my racing improves - it's already set up right. Thanks!!

Perhaps you've seen it in your searches but here's a description of what is altered when you change the fork height:

fork height.JPG

If you were riding in deep sand or long high speed straightaways, you could benefit from lowering the forks flush

to prevent the front end from knifing when cornering and, add more high speed stability / reduce headshake.

Edited by mlatour

Service your forks!  If you still have the stock oil, it is junk. Fork oil lasts 20-50 hours depending on dust and agression levels.

A lot depends on how you ride, where you sit, how much pressure you put on the outside peg, tire pressure, etc etc.

On my FX, I set the sag specifically for 'more' oversteer, as I am not racing through large flat sweepers, but more on narrower single track.

I find less sag works better than lowering the front....which is already at about 8mm down.

Edited by THE KRAN
  • Like 1

The Gen2 ('06-'09) and the Gen3 ('10-'13) were very different handling bikes, so what works for one rarely applies to the other.  A solid baseline for the Gen2 was sag at 95-97mm  and the forks up as far as 10mm to get the bike to push less and turn in more willingly.  The Gen3, like yours, doesn't need as much encouragement along those lines, however. 

Your bike is very sensitive to rider position and style, maybe more so than any physical adjustment you can make to it.  It will corner best if you're well forward on it.  You might find that a different pair of bars, or relocating the pegs so that you get put in a different position on the bike makes as big a difference as anything you do to the sag or the forks.

There have been all kinds of setups used on the Gen3 and Gen4 ('14-'17) bikes and the guys who did them swear they all work better than anyone else's.  Search "sag fork height" in this forum.  You'll lots of opinions.  Then again, you can just fiddle with things on your own and see what you like and don't like.  One thing to remember is that to a great extent, you have to adapt to the nature of the bike.  There's only so much you can do to adapt the bike to you.  That's why the opinions on any given setup vary so much.

• Like 1