Top End Rebuild

Hey guys, have you ever completely fallen in love with a dirt bike? Well it's a match made in heaven for myself and my 09 KX450F. I know there's better bikes out there but I seriously like this thing. I want to keep it around for a little while. So, as a maintenance thing I'm going to rebuild my top end. I've never been one to work on bikes (I've been a GM mechanic for 10 years) so I only do big stuff. Now I know that a top end rebuild should seem trivial in my situation but for some reason I've always been intimidated by the thought of working on a bike engine. So from all you pros out there, if I were to tear into this thing, what would you guys recommend I replace and/or check while I'm in there? Any input would he greatly appreciated.

Hey guys, have you ever completely fallen in love with a dirt bike? Well it's a match made in heaven for myself and my 09 KX450F. I know there's better bikes out there but I seriously like this thing. I want to keep it around for a little while. So, as a maintenance thing I'm going to rebuild my top end. I've never been one to work on bikes (I've been a GM mechanic for 10 years) so I only do big stuff. Now I know that a top end rebuild should seem trivial in my situation but for some reason I've always been intimidated by the thought of working on a bike engine. So from all you pros out there, if I were to tear into this thing, what would you guys recommend I replace and/or check while I'm in there? Any input would he greatly appreciated.

I'm no pro. But I have a 06 that is the same way for me seriously love that bike. I rebuilt the hole engine last year. I would definitely replace the piston and rings. Check the play in the crank and check the valves for wear. I did everything but the valves and crank myself had no idea how to cut seats or even take the valves apart so had a local machine shop do them. But good luck these are great bikes I got about 1200 hrs out of my bottom end and only did it as a precaution. Everything in the bottom still looked awesome smooth as butter. Someone with a 09 or newer may have some other things to check.
  • Like 1

Here you have a link for the Service Manual that have every step by step info for the entire bike, 

Its the same book that Kawasaki shops use. its 400 something pages

Just klick the green download and you will get a PDF file to your computer

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/857253/Kawasaki-Kx450f.html?page=3#manual

I

just do piston and rings, check the shim thickness , and replace valves if shims too thin, do not lap titanium valves in, just stick them in and done. Also new timing chain.