Bars- personal preference or what?

Going to be ordering new bars and clamps for my bike this week, currently have what I'd assume are oem Renthal bars on my kx250f? 

Any particular bars that are favored more for MX? Ie style, size, cross brace vs no brace? Any that reduce fatigue/increase comfort? Strength? 

I would say avoid steel bars, like what most stock bars are.

Opt for a good set of something like the Pro Taper Contour or EVO. Be aware tho that the clamping for them are 1 1/8".

Determine if you like your current bars pull back and height and what changes you'd like to make of those aspects and find a bar to fit. If you stand a lot when riding, which you should be, pay attention to your stance. Could new bars be higher and more comfortable for you?

When my bars are too low for standing, it makes me have to hunch over more to reach them, making me have to crank my head back more to be able to look down the trail, creating neck soreness.

Cross braces provide reinforcement for steel bars and others not designed to flex. Not really good for much else. Modern bars like the Pro Taper don't need them.

Edited by Trailryder42

Right now I'm leaning towards either the Pro Taper Evo or Mika 1-1/8" bars, not much price difference between the two. Just been looking to see if the Mika's actually do provide a little extra flex/stress reduction for long motos. I needed new clamps regardless so I'll be sure to get the right size. I'm digging the stock bend/height overall, I do a fair amount of standing and feel comfortable (plus I'm short so I'm not hunched over very much anyway), current lever positions/bar position is working well. Both options have bends/height that are basically oem style, even if they're a bit higher it might work better in the long run. I'll spend the few extra bucks and get higher grade aluminum and hope I don't tweak them first fall ?

Edited by Dolamite
  • Like 1

Gotta love Rocky Mountain for their fast shipping, gonna slap these bad boys on tonight and give them a shot either tomorrow evening or Saturday night at the track. Can't believe how beefy the 1-1/8" bars look in person! Curious to see if they aid in any fatigue at all. I'm sure my dry rotted cones on the stockers are

IMG_2503.JPG