Maxxicross desert it

10 hours ago, Wethepoeple said:

Are they worth it?

Is it going to be a good choice for me?

I ride hard terrian, muddy-boggy, Sandy, Sharp Rocky areas basically abit of Everything would the Maxxis desert it be a good choice

No, but the Kenda Parker DT would. ;):D

56 minutes ago, Mudd94 said:

I just bought and mounted one of these on my XR, based mostly on your repeated recommendations.  And when I say repeated, I mean reeeepppppeeaaated.  ? 

?

Lol, every chance I get.

As I've repeatedly posted/replied have NOT tried the Parker DT's but a buddy swears but the Trakmaster II and from my research both are durable.

Personally I've used the Desert IT's front/back numerous times and they are also durable tires and IMO worth the $$$$.

These are from a Canadian place that IMO have some of the best prices on tires and might give you an idea of what the comparative costs in Canada are BUT choose the same size for each and as I will always post in tire topics, there are way to many tire options and you really need to narrow down a choice, buy it and ride it and see how it works for where and how you ride.

https://fortnine.ca/en/kenda-k772-parker-dt-rear-tire

https://fortnine.ca/en/kenda-k760-trakmaster-ii-rear-tire

https://fortnine.ca/en/maxxis-m7304d-maxxcross-desert-it-rear-tire

I run a larger than standard Desert IT front (90/100-21) and regular IT rear (100/100-18) on my CRF250X.

Slow rocky technical trails & woods type riding so can't say I really push them to their leaning or cornering traction limit,

the front has shown it's limitations in wet spots where it's suddenly washed out a few times (I could probably blame my suspension experiments for that),

very surprisingly the rear handles muddy conditions quite well for a closely spaced mid-hard knob pattern.

Durability has been really good, with about 450 miles on them up to now (some on pavement)

they've started rounding the leading edges on the center rows. Rear tire center knobs have worn about 2/32" - 3/32".

Many times I've slipped / bounced thru rocks hearing what sounded like a knob tearing off

but again surprisingly I've only managed to chunk one single side knob on the rear.

Edited by mlatour

9 hours ago, Colorado^ said:

I don't mind the rear, but what the hell is up with the front.  Worst front tire I've ever used. Took it off after two rides/crashes.

I like it, but some folks don't I guess.  Works very well in sand.  Run it in the intermediate direction, I run it at 11 psi.  Where it doesn't do very well is in mud, it packs up pretty good.

Edited by cjjeepercreeper

2 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

I like it, but some folks don't I guess.  Works very well in sand.  Run it in the intermediate direction, I run it at 11 psi.  Where it doesn't do very well is in mud, it packs up pretty good.

Yeah, it was mounted in the intermediate direction.  I ran it tubeless at 5-8 psi.

The knobs are VERY squishy, like a snow tire (car), but worse.  While grip was good, it gave a very vague feeling to the front.  No real feedback and it seemed to roll/wash on rocks way more than any other front tire I've ever used.

It would also deflect in the weirdest way on bigger hits, and had no real grip in deep loose rocks when going down hill.

42 minutes ago, Colorado^ said:

Yeah, it was mounted in the intermediate direction.  I ran it tubeless at 5-8 psi.

The knobs are VERY squishy, like a snow tire (car), but worse.  While grip was good, it gave a very vague feeling to the front.  No real feedback and it seemed to roll/wash on rocks way more than any other front tire I've ever used.

It would also deflect in the weirdest way on bigger hits, and had no real grip in deep loose rocks when going down hill.

The issue may be with the lower pressure you are running with the Tubliss.  I had to play around a lot with air pressure and fork settings until I liked the tire.  Once I got things set up right I'm having less deflection that I did before.  And we're talking stock late model XR250R forks, the kings of deflection.

35 minutes ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

The issue may be with the lower pressure you are running with the Tubliss.  I had to play around a lot with air pressure and fork settings until I liked the tire.  Once I got things set up right I'm having less deflection that I did before.  And we're talking stock late model XR250R forks, the kings of deflection.

Could be I guess, but the carcass itself felt fine with the low pressures.  I've had some tires that were not enough plys to support  low pressures, but the DT didn't feel like that.  Honestly the knobs just felt WAY too squishy.  No doubt that works in some terrain, but I prefer normal stiff, deep knobs for the Rocky Mountains.  Predictable traction, no surprises and good feedback.

If you're up this way, you can have the tire.  It's got less than 100 miles on it.

Edited by Colorado^
  • Like 1