Barn Find! (sorta) 1985 Low mileage KLR600

I'm not sure where to go from here or if its worth continuing putting money into this thing. 

Well if you want to sell it for a profit or break even - no.

But smiles yes. There are days I wish I had mine back.

This is a hobby not a job.

So after letting it sit for a few days I decided to try again.  This time it sputtered a few times and I actually thought it was going to start. It didn't though and I had to give the starter a break after a while.  By messing with the idle screw and not giving it any throttle I can get it to sputter or even run for a second or 2 but thats the best I can seem to get out of it.  I have much better results when it's hooked to the jeep while its idling, seems to like the extra voltage.

Using the choke doesn't help. It actually will do nothing at all when its on so maybe there's an issue with it?  

Also, what I though was popping seems to be the bike firing once but not doing anything resulting in the starter disengaging and then engaging again.

Sooooooooo....any input would be really appreciated.  Keep in mind it ran fine before suddenly losing spark.  Putting a new CDI and coil on it seems to have fixed the spark but these were both the aftermarket parts I linked to a few posts back.

On 8/3/2017 at 10:36 AM, hadfield4wd said:

Well if you want to sell it for a profit or break even - no.

But smiles yes. There are days I wish I had mine back.

This is a hobby not a job.

Well persistence pays off!  

I let the bike sit for a while while I took care some other things but was thinking about what could be wrong.  It was so obvious, the new aftermarket CDI I bought was garbage.  I popped the old one back in and it fired right up. Only the coil had gone bad. The readings in the CDI don't match whats in the manual but whatever...I just put 5 trouble free miles on the bike.  Only thing that needs attention is the speedo cable, it shrieks over 40mph.  I'll have that taken care of in no time. Everything else works like a charm.  Bike shifts easy and accurately, clutch is smooth.  Brakes.......work haha.  I've been spoiled by dual disk, dual piston Brembos for quite a while now, it did get better as it started to bed in and the crap started to wear off the rotor.

All in all very pleased with myself!  Here's the vid of its first ride in 21 years.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B74n5zSfHlifbDdtV2JLT05HNm8/view?usp=sharing