Slop in rear shock/linkage or ?

My new to me yz 250 is in great shape love it but if i live up on the back seat it seems to have up and down play only, and no side to side, what part is worn out here that needs to be replaced? I have not tore into it but I dedicated a bit of $ to put into this bike since I love the way it handles for single track. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

• Like 1

Just move it up and down and look for the spot with the slop. Take the seat off because it could be the upper shock mount. This is not a huge issue, you can still ride it, but since you just got it, you need to make sure all of your linkage is in good shape. I bought a whole kit for my bike and only ended up needing one bushing. I just cleaned and regreased the rest.

It could be the upper shock bearing, lower shock bearing, any of the linkage bearings, or any combination of these... Just move the wheel up and down with your foot and carefully feel all the connection points to see which has play. If the bike was new to me I'd be tempted to just buy the linkage and shock kit and do everything.

I ordered complete pivot works linkage bearing kit. I'm going to make this bike as bad ass as possible and I recently acquired the cash to do so.