2006 ktm 450 sx problems

Ok guys so I bought a 2006 ktm 450 sx that Was running but needed rebuilt so sent the whole top end to Dave Hopkins and the carb to have it looked at and buttoned up! I got it back and locked the motor in top dead center but when I look at the flywheel the block on the flywheel doesn't meet the corner of the pulsar coil like Olathe pic in the manual shows it goes into it about a 1/4 inch but I still put it all together and it wouldn't fire up so I took it apart again and put it together with the corner of the block meeting the corner of the pulsar coil and now it will backfire about every time I kick it and about every third kick it will crank and run strong but it runs hot after about 3 or 4 minutes of fast riding so I'm not sure what's going on it has new radiators a new cv4 cap and silicone hoses and I run engine ice so my question is? Is my timing off or what is goin on

did you lock the motor at TDC with that bolt underneath the motor?  are you sure it was TDC?  i know there is more than one hole that the bolt can go into on the crank. 

Not on the sx they shave the crank down to save weight so there is only one place it can go and when it was locked down the edge of the square block of the flywheel was down a 1/4 inch farther than it shows in the manual