Yet another "what bike should I buy"

Hey guys long time no see! since i sold my old thumper i have just been riding the street scene, but now i think its time that i get me a new dirtbike, so my question is: what bike should i buy?

im 19, 150 pounds and 5'8. Ive been riding trails since i was 8, first learning on my xr100, then moving to a xr600. I'm no stranger to big bikes, but i'm pretty much just going to be doing trail riding.

so, what bike should i buy? i'm thinking a crf230, or maybe an xr400. I need something reliable, cheap and on the shorter side, because so am i XD

• Like 1

Can't go wrong with a crf230.  I don't have experience with a lot of bikes but can say that the crf230f is a fine bike for trails with a few simple mods/add ons.   Reliable as hell and easy to maintain.  The best part, if you find a nice one for a good price you can sell it for what you paid and they sell quickly (in my area anyhow).

• Like 1

I just wish that the crf230 had a kickstart, i like that it is electric start, but i just wish it had both.

i believe you can buy a kick start conversion kit, but in the event the battery is dead, you can always push it on flat ground or downhill in neutral and shift up to second gear and let out clutch.  Will usually start (also called 'jump starting' .....e.g. hoofing it along side it to get it up to speed in neutral, jump on it and shift up to 2nd gear).  So unless you are in a hole, you can usually figure out how to push start or jump start a bike.

2 minutes ago, SilvFx said:

i believe you can buy a kick start conversion kit, but in the event the battery is dead, you can always push it on flat ground or downhill in neutral and shift up to second gear and let out clutch.  Will usually start (also called 'jump starting' .....e.g. hoofing it along side it to get it up to speed in neutral, jump on it and shift up to 2nd gear).  So unless you are in a hole, you can usually figure out how to push start or jump start a bike.

Around here we call using jumper cables "jump" starting, and popping the clutch "bump" starting.

funny thing about slang and age you grow up in.  Dirt bikes didnt have batteries when I started riding many years ago.  So 'jump start' method is a poor man's jump start....run alongside it and "jump" on when you have enough speed to pop the clutch and hope it starts.

I can easily see the confusion from using that term...so tried to clarify with 'push' start.  I have seen 'bump' start like you say...but to me 'bump' means to 'bump' the starter.  Anyhow we all agree that no kick start required if you can figure out how to push it fast enough is my only point.

I'm sorry but IMOH, I have to disagree with the CRF230, while yes it is a great machine for height challenged or younger people this young man has been riding an XR600, he is going to be seriously disappointed with that bike even after mods. If going to older iron then I would point him to an XR400 as in most cases he can still dual sport it. Otherwise a CRF250X or CRF450X (X's have E start and kick start) or WR models would give him what he is looking for and would still have room to grow into it instead of outgrowing it. Even any of the KTM 250-300xc machines but those would tend to run you more money. Utah has a ton of great single track but it also still has a lot of open land that can use the extra HP.

He's 19, he is still going to be looking for that extra Uummff occasionally and yes you can get it out of the 230 as I have seen some incredible MX mods but it still is a bit limited. The street model can barely get out of its own way. 

Edited by Diamond-Dave
  • Like 1

i sat on a few crf 250s today, they felt pretty good, i just wish it was a little shorter for a trail bike