Beta send out supension

2 hours ago, weantright said:

Fox also uses Kashima coatings that come on "A" kit suspensions. This alone makes the Fox work better.

Only in RC2s (e.g. XTrainer) and in special edition atv-snowmobile shocks.

RC3 has its own special surface finish although there may be few buit with Kashima, but Im not sure. Not a std feature anyway.

Yes,

it's best to get some time on the bike, let the suspension break in...and get a feel for what issues are prevalent.

I've been doing my own stuff for some time now and in a lot of cases you can get away with little more that a shim shuffle,....which is what a lot of shops end up doing anyway.

It is important to first address the spring rates first before diving into the valving.

Ideally it would be awesome to dyno before and after a revalve to gather valuable tuning information.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, basalt said:

Well, I went all out...20170814_165957.jpg

Didn't get a chance to set sag (another story) or play with any clickers, but a huge difference in performance off jump faces, whoops, and cornering vs SACHS w/ 6.2 spring and stock valving. I could have just revalved, but I didn't.

Sent from my SM-G920V using ThumperTalk mobile app

Sweet, and now I'm jealous. What did Stillwell do to it?

3 hours ago, basalt said:

Do you know if there will be any issues servicing these going forward, or are the parts pretty standard?

One of the easiest shocks to work with and very reliable too.

There are some special tools available from Fox (not cheap but not very expensive either) which can make your life easier but are not necessary.

Only in case you are going to use a vacuum pump, then you have to have the specific comp. adjuster socket (and have to fabricate an adapter).

Keep in mind though that all shims are in imperial units not metric but they are available from Fox or elsewhere.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Sierra_rider said:

I have a Stillwell-valved Fox podium... no complaints. I dunno if it's the bottoming control valve or what, but the only offroad tuned bike I've had that doesn't get out of shape in the whoops.

What Sag are you running? Stillwell is calling for 110 which seems like a lot, but I'm not sure if this shock is a little longer?

46 minutes ago, basalt said:

What Sag are you running? Stillwell is calling for 110 which seems like a lot, but I'm not sure if this shock is a little longer?

I'm running 110... I forget what they recommended for me, I thought it was around 105.

I've tended to run a lot of sag in recent years...I seem to ride with my weight towards the front of the bike, less sag and I get the "stinkbug" feel.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, basalt said:

Exactly the same length with stock.

Find the sag that is best for you, personally I like 110+.