100% Beginner in need of advice

Hi, I am a 17 year old male 6'1" around 205lbs. and I'm looking into buying a dirtbike. I've never touched a dirtbike before and have no idea how a clutch works or anything. Please drop your thoughts! Thank you!

Get the cheapest dirt bike you can find even if it is too small, and teach yourself brakes and shifting before investing in nice dirt bike your size.

I've been told to stay away from suzukis and Yamahas by one of my buddies that has a lot of experience, is that true or does it not matter? Also, I own a Yamaha Grizzly 550 so I know how brakes and stuff work, but not how the shifting works, as the quad is an automatic

thanks again!

It doesn't matter what brand at this point. Just stick with something cheap and reliable for now to learn the basics

Its too powerful for a rank newbie.

At most you should consider either Yamaha TTR2320 or Honda CRF230.  Those bikes have about 17 hp which will be more than enough for you to start with.  For comparison a 250F will have about 34 hp and a much more sudden power delivery.

At 6'1" / 205lbs, a TTR125 will be good for your first 20 minutes of learning the basics of clutching, shifting and braking,

after that due to it's small ergonomics it will very much limit your learning progression.

A too small bike forces you to sit too far back, upsetting chassis balance and not allowing 'normal' or correct body positioning

for cornering, jumping, tackling obstacles etc.

As suggested, get a Yamaha TTR230 or Honda CRF230F

Edited by mlatour

What type of riding do you aim at? Do yourself a favor and get a 125. The 250f might be good but could be a moneypit. 

All those "not race bikes" is going to be fun for a month at best. 

I also found a honda CRF150f for around 1200, is that good for me? Also, is the price alright for that bike? It says it's been lightly trail ridden and everything working nicely

20 hours ago, MrClanTastic said:

I've been told to stay away from suzukis and Yamahas by one of my buddies that has a lot of experience, is that true or does it not matter? Also, I own a Yamaha Grizzly 550 so I know how brakes and stuff work, but not how the shifting works, as the quad is an automatic

thanks again!

No comparison to a big heavy automatic quad in my opinion.  You will be so happy to leave that behind when you get into dirt biking.

What I mean about braking is teaching yourself to pull in the clutch and hit the front and back brakes over and over a thousand times until it is instinct. Practice going along pretty good in 1st gear and then stopping with left foot down, clutch in, front and rear on, throttle off. Then stop in less and less distance. Now try it standing up on the pegs and butt way back. Feel the huge advantage? Try stopping on the exact same spots. Try stopping next to a tree where you dont put you foot down but just have slight leaning of your handle bars against it a couple seconds and then take off in good balance. Getting to know how hard you can apply the front in a straight line, in a corner, in wet, in dusty. Feel how hitting the rear brake affects your balance in tight turns or offcamber. Always keeping the clutch and front brake levers covered(a finger on them ready at a split second to apply) and elbows up ready for the unexpected. You can adjust your levers up and down, in and out to fit you, you don't have to just live with factory settings. Get some dirt bike boots and adjust your shifter and rear brakes up and down so they are best fit.  There is so much to learn about braking before you start ripping through the gears down the trails.

Next you can learn throttle control so no matter how out of shape you get in a bad situation, you don't amplify it by whiskey throttling(acidental full throttle).  Learn to apply the power to the rear wheel through both clutch and throttle working together.

Watch the you tube videos about bike handling and control. There are some really good ones out there. Thight turns, tight figure eights, going over logs, wheelies, hills, ect.  An aussi with you tube channel CROSS TRAINING ENDURO SKILLS is fun to watch and learn.

Now you start learning to rip through the gears and downshifting without over reving the engine.

At 6'1" and 205 you should be fine on a 250F. The honda 150f may be ok, but make sure it has the big wheels 21"F 18"R.  About prices, I would just google it and see what others are asking for the same bike.  I am 6'1" and have been riding dirt since the 70's. I am still out dirt biking all day Sat and Sun because I can't seem to get enough.  I hope the dirt biking bug bites you too!

• Like 1

Would it be smart to get a smaller bike to learn all of the basics then upgrade? Or just go straight to a 250? I'm looking into a CRF150f like I said but I have a KTM 250 on standby just in case.

I have no idea of your natural abiliy.  You tube is full of videos of newbies crashing from whiskey throttle. If you are like one of those people, better go 150 big wheels.  

If you think you have good muscle control and can keep from rotating the right hand back when things get out of shape, get the 250. Personally, at this stage in my riding, I think the 250F feels like a toy and is way under powered for my liking, I ride a 450 and would not mind getting a Maico 700. I like power, but I can control it. It is all about learning control and knowing that either a clutch pull or a throttle back will stop all power on something with even 1000 HP.

Are you clumsy or athletic?

I'm pretty athletic, I've hopped on my friends Yamaha 250 4 stroke and after a few stalls I got it going a small bit and the throttle was very very touchy, but on the bright side I didn't die :) anyway, I think I'm pretty athletic I play a few sports and stuff I've got decent leg muscle and upper body strength

1 hour ago, MrClanTastic said:

Would it be smart to get a smaller bike to learn all of the basics then upgrade? Or just go straight to a 250? I'm looking into a CRF150f like I said but I have a KTM 250 on standby just in case.

You are not providing enough information for us to answer.  You ask if the CRF150F is a good deal at $1200?  but yet did not state the condition, usage nor THE  YEAR.

You asked if the KTM 250 would be an OK place to start as an alternative?  Again, you did not provide the model nor the year.  Did you know that KTM makes a 250SX-F, 250 XC-F, 250 XCF-W, 250 SX, 250 XC and 250 XC-W.  Now which of these models is it?  What kind of condition, mileage or hours are on the "KTM 250"?

You are not providing enough information for us to answer.  You ask if the CRF150F is a good deal at $1200?  but yet did not state the condition, usage nor THE  YEAR.
You asked if the KTM 250 would be an OK place to start as an alternative?  Again, you did not provide the model nor the year.  Did you know that KTM makes a 250SX-F, 250 XC-F, 250 XCF-W, 250 SX, 250 XC and 250 XC-W.  Now which of these models is it?  What kind of condition, mileage or hours are on the "KTM 250"?

I have no idea about anything about dirt bikes lol and I'm not the one buying it so I don't know all of the specifications of the ktm, all I know is that it's a 2004 or a 2005

Just now, MrClanTastic said:

I have no idea about anything about dirt bikes lol and I'm not the one buying it so I don't know all of the specifications of the ktm, all I know is that it's a 2004 or a 2005

If its not mint condition, stay away. 

I think we are going to go look at the KTM 250 tomorrow or Thursday, I guess that'll be the best way to see if it's too much bike for me lol, thanks a lot you guys it was a real big help from all of you! Cheers lads!

Plan to spend $2K on a useful beginners bike. You can get one for $1K, but they are always beat up and you will put in another grand fixing and replacing and repairing.

I'd recommend a Jap dirt bike, they are cheaper than the Euro bikes. I got back into dirt on a Honda CRF230F and it was a great fit for me, even tho I'm 6-1 and 270 lbs. 

Buy a bike in good shape for $2K, ride it for a year, sell it for $1800, and you have rented it for $200. Then you will know what you want, go buy it.

In general, I do not recommend 125 for beginners, because 125 is a serious racing class for teenagers, and the bikes made for racing are not what you want as a beginner.