Oil drain plug stripped/repair?

I got a used bike back in the fall, Its a 2014 KTM 350XCF. When i changed the oil the magnetic plug never snugged down. Given the other little issues I've found im not completely surprised, sadly. Now the challenge. Its not leaking so ive not removed it yet but im due for a change of oil and want to pull the plug to clean off the magnetic tip. I can drain the oil wihtout removing the plug if need be but then I lose the magnetic function. Some people suggest I use a helicoil type system. But there are several brands. This video is a good list of several. 

But in the end, is it safe? One of my concerns is having to punch metal INTO the pan. Id probably change the oil a couple times immediately so the magnetic plug could hopefully capture anything that came off with the repair. At any rate, has anyone done anything like this?

Afternoon Myers, ,
It's not an unusual situation, folks get ham fisted w/the wrenches. I did a repair on a Moto Guzzi trans.
Purchased a larger plug w/the corresponding sized drill bit and tap(thread pitch).
Drill; tap; a quick flush; new plug gently torqued, good to go. K.I.S.S.
Keep it simple stupid. Yup! G,🤙

• Like 1

What He said. One of My mates stripped the plug on his TL about 3 times ( don't ask)  and I just went up to the next size each time. Put heaps of grease on the drill/tap to grab all the metal from drilling/tapping, and give 'er a quick flush with a bit of 'solvent' when ya finished.

Edited by DEATH_INC.