Jump to content

Can we live with just two bikes?

Recommended Posts

As a recent Army retiree I have become a minimalist. This allows me to be unburdened, so I can save money, travel, etc. 

I own an XR650L and a new to me BMW S1000R. 

We all know the roles the XR fills, and the BMW is a sport bike, sport tourer, and track day bike. 

I think these are a great combo. 

(Having said that, the XR is in Costa Rica and I will get another XR, or similar, for the US and a sporty road bike for CR.)

Todd

image1 (1).JPG

IMG_0445-2.JPG

Edited by Todd00000
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at my signature and I just and after MUCH agonizing sold the 1986 Reflex but I wasn't using it at it went to a very good home.

Im ready to sell the XS400 cus it was given to me a few year ago and I restored it so I could finally get my street bike license at the age of 54 and know know what I want/need in a new bigger CC street bike.

Buddy move to Australia for 4 years and left me the plate DRZ400e which is a nice little dual sport bike but works great in the trails IMO.

Some of my bikes are in this pic.

DSCF0076.1.jpg.d0531a8c08c3d4d98c0f213fbb801d53.jpg

then the Drz

Phil.endrocross-cropped.thumb.jpg.a4f9c379d2c59e670c3c04df49052b9c.jpg

 

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just have two bikes. One for the woods, one for the street. They fill the bill for my riding desires, though I have thought some lately about a sport touring or touring type bike as a third, but thinking about it is as far as it's went.. :thinking:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

Bikes are like guns, you can never have to many.

 

My safe is full, I'm done buying guns also. LOL

2 hours ago, filterx said:

Look at my signature and I just and after MUCH agonizing sold the 1986 Reflex but I wasn't using it at it went to a very good home.

Im ready to sell the XS400 cus it was given to me a few year ago and I restored it so I could finally get my street bike license at the age of 54 and know know what I want/need in a new bigger CC street bike.

Buddy move to Australia for 4 years and left me the plate DRZ400e which is a nice little dual sport bike but works great in the trails IMO.

Some of my bikes are in this pic.

DSCF0076.1.jpg.d0531a8c08c3d4d98c0f213fbb801d53.jpg

then the Drz

Phil.endrocross-cropped.thumb.jpg.a4f9c379d2c59e670c3c04df49052b9c.jpg

 

Four of your bikes are vitally the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Todd00000 said:

My safe is full, I'm done buying guns also. LOL

Looks like it's time to buy another safe.

Actually im done buying both for a while I think. I keep joking with my wife that im starting an orphanage for wayward bikes.  I think im up to 10 bikes now, 2 are the wifes though. 

20170614_192831.jpg

20170328_183018.jpg

20170312_151247.jpg

20160528_160214.jpg

20170514_182319.jpg

Edited by GreenMT_Rider
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Todd00000 said:

My safe is full, I'm done buying guns also. LOL

Four of your bikes are vitally the same. 

The 3 on the right are a Honda plated XR400, 250R and 250X. Mines the 250R and the others are buddies.

Then mine which are the DRZ, Reflex, 250R and XS400 are a mix of types and makes and IMO cover dual sport, trials, dirt and street and I did say SOME of the bikes where mine.

IMO I think 4 types of bikes cover pretty much everywhere and how I want to ride

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Todd00000 said:

As a recent Army retiree I have become a minimalist. This allows me to be unburdened, so I can save money, travel, etc. 

I own an XR650L and a new to me BMW S1000R. 

We all know the roles the XR fills, and the BMW is a sport bike, sport tourer, and track day bike. 

I think these are a great combo. 

(Having said that, the XR is in Costa Rica and I will get another XR, or similar, for the US and a sporty road bike for CR.)

Todd

 

 

Two has worked for me.

My current choices are similar to your's, A KTM690R and a Kawasaki Z1000. The Z has crossed the country a few times and has something over 81k on it. No track days though. No Costa Rica either. :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, three is the minimum number.  One dirtbike, one supermoto for urban riding and one sport bike or vintage bike.

Currently I have 5.  One dirtbike, three rideable vintage bikes and one extra long term vintage project bike.

 

b4.jpg 

IMG_2679.jpg  

IMG_5667.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YZ125, WR250R, 350 EXC, FE501S and two R1200GSA's (how did that happen!) here.

 

GSA for sale soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CDNSXV said:

IMO, three is the minimum number.  One dirtbike, one supermoto for urban riding and one sport bike or vintage bike.

Currently I have 5.  One dirtbike, three rideable vintage bikes and one extra long term vintage project bike.

 

b4.jpg 

IMG_2679.jpg  

IMG_5667.jpg

An RZ350 is on my wish list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are much more common and easy to find here than they are in the USA. ;)  We got the LC's from 81-82 and the RZ's from 83-90.  We also got the 500's.  I was lucky enough to get to ride a pair of the 500's two years ago.  Vintage road going 2-strokes are all kinds of fun to ride.

This pic shows my buddy's 83 RZ, my wife's 90 RZ, my 81 LC and another buddy's 500. 

IMG_4712.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

Looks like it's time to buy another safe.

Actually im done buying both for a while I think. I keep joking with my wife that im starting an orphanage for wayward bikes.  I think im up to 10 bikes now, 2 are the wifes though. 

20170614_192831.jpg

20170328_183018.jpg

20170312_151247.jpg

20160528_160214.jpg

20170514_182319.jpg

NO! Will not get a bigger safe. LOL I guess a better way to put it is I'm done accumulating. I'm selling my Ducati Monster to get the BMW. I may eventually get a CRF450X, which can be road legal here in Costa Rica, and I'd sell the XR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think one of those s1000r's (preferably in white) is going to be my next bike purchase.

Then I'll have two bikes... and one snowmobile.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CDNSXV said:

IMO, three is the minimum number.  One dirtbike, one supermoto for urban riding and one sport bike or vintage bike.

Currently I have 5.  One dirtbike, three rideable vintage bikes and one extra long term vintage project bike.

 

b4.jpg 

IMG_2679.jpg  

IMG_5667.jpg

I would make a separate category for restoring something, that's different than mere ownership.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×