Finally got some quality work on it time!

My 2001 XR400R has been sitting for the most part for three years. I HAVE been riding it ff and on, mostly off for about an hour every month or two. Maybe put on 20 miles then put it away due to a new job three years ago which I have a 40 mile one way commute. And I have froggin horrid hours. Anyway, It has been running good off idle but started both a backfire on deceleration and a problem not idling, at all. So I pulled the intake mani and found out the O ring is broken so I am pretty sure that is the source of my deceleration popping. I also noticed a little black gooy crud in the bottom of my float bowl and I was not able to see thru my idle jet (pilot jet). So, I am cleaning the jets, and carby, and replacing the intake O ring and bolts. Oh, this thing only has 1600 miles on it since it was new....yeah FLAME ON! I do promise to ride more now though!!!! 

My XR400R.jpg

• Like 4

Glad to see other rider/wrenchers here on the board. You've got a great looking bike there. Get all the crud cleaned out and then get on and ride. 

BTW - I use Seafoam in all of my bike/small engine gas and it keeps the gas conditioned well. Haven't had any sludge or issues even when one of my bikes sits for a month or two.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThumperCurtis said:

Glad to see other rider/wrenchers here on the board. You've got a great looking bike there. Get all the crud cleaned out and then get on and ride. 

BTW - I use Seafoam in all of my bike/small engine gas and it keeps the gas conditioned well. Haven't had any sludge or issues even when one of my bikes sits for a month or two.   

or all winter for xr's,lawn equipment and snowblower,which used to be a pain when taking out for their seasonal use.

@firstplacephoto  - very true. You probably have that issue in MASS. Not so much down here in TX. If you are putting in storage for a season I always drain all the gas out completely - run dry the carb and drain the tank. Remove the spark plug, put some seafoam in the cylinder and then plug back in. Turn it over a few times and then have a drink... 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2017 at 8:29 PM, KevinsXR said:

My 2001 XR400R has been sitting for the most part for three years. I HAVE been riding it ff and on, mostly off for about an hour every month or two. Maybe put on 20 miles then put it away due to a new job three years ago which I have a 40 mile one way commute. And I have froggin horrid hours. Anyway, It has been running good off idle but started both a backfire on deceleration and a problem not idling, at all. So I pulled the intake mani and found out the O ring is broken so I am pretty sure that is the source of my deceleration popping. I also noticed a little black gooy crud in the bottom of my float bowl and I was not able to see thru my idle jet (pilot jet). So, I am cleaning the jets, and carby, and replacing the intake O ring and bolts. Oh, this thing only has 1600 miles on it since it was new....yeah FLAME ON! I do promise to ride more now though!!!! 

My XR400R.jpg

Same here man! Mine sat for about a year straight, fired it up about a month ago and went for a nice ride. Surprisingly, after about 10 kicks she roared to life and sat there idling like a champ. That's why I love these bikes, they can take being used, abused and put away for long periods with no love and still not let you down.

The lack of people to ride with and the fact that I was setting up my new house last year left pretty much no time or desire to ride. House is set up now but everyone I knew was on a street ride so I picked up a Yamaha FZ-07 earlier this week. I left the plates and insurance on my XR though,, I do still enjoy a back road / 2 track ride so definitely not getting rid of mine. 

Yours is still lookin good! Happy trails!

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:38 AM, ThumperCurtis said:

Same here, 1 oz per gallon every now and then. To the OP nice scooter! I have it's twin

On 7/18/2017 at 11:31 AM, YHGEORGE said:

The only sensible thing for you to do is sell me that XR4. Now!

Everyone wants it when I don't want or need to sell it to get another project funded, or fund some more camera gear! When I decide to sell it people offer me less than one that is bashed, hashed and worn out completely! As you can see, mine still is a brand new 2001 XR400R. And it has never even been crashed! It has fallen over at a stop a few times because being 5'7 I am really too short for it. But it's a new bike essentially. I would sell it for 3 grand but not a penny less. And some will pay that some won't like I said it's all timing...

1 hour ago, KevinsXR said:
Everyone wants it when I don't want or need to sell it to get another project funded, or fund some more camera gear! When I decide to sell it people offer me less than one that is bashed, hashed and worn out completely! As you can see, mine still is a brand new 2001 XR400R. And it has never even been crashed! It has fallen over at a stop a few times because being 5'7 I am really too short for it. But it's a new bike essentially. I would sell it for 3 grand but not a penny less. And some will pay that some won't like I said it's all timing...

Not a bad price really.

Edited by shrubitup

The only reason I would sell it is to get my buddies Ducati ST3. He got in trouble too many times on it and only wants to sell it to me. And I need a commuter more than a dual sport right now. But I am sure I would totally regret selling this bike. It's perfect. At least in condition and the way it runs. 

• Like 1