Creative backwoods flat repair

A buddy and I did 720 miles in 72 hours on the Oregon Backcountry Discovery route this last week.  Estimating that 80%+ of our route was off pavement.  Well about 40 miles from nowhere I managed to pick up a nail.  We leaned it over on the kickstand, jammed a broken off branch under the right side frame and then, because we didn't feel like unloading it, used a couple of ratchet straps to keep it from tipping over all the way to the kickstand side.  Worked like a charm  Back on the trail lickety split.

596d920dccbd4_DSCN0894(Medium).JPG.8993ccc96ac2ce7e1db94099e93ea9ae.JPG

596d920cd8348_DSCN0898(Medium).JPG.c416bdb149ad2a55a10fb059cd9729b8.JPG

596d92cb8cbde_DSCN0979(Medium).JPG.752651ad1833353fd87560732aa5c1cb.JPG

• Like 10

Last weekend I did 400 miles 2 up on the bmw 1150rt and decided to take a break by riding horseback on the no vehicle sections from the Columbia river along the pacific crest trail toward mt.hood. somehow we lucked out and missed the the debotchery of the gambler 500 rally racers blowing through and them getting tangled up with the oregon trail reenactors on the Barlow road. 

Rented horse+loaner roping saddle+5000 feet in elevation change= stock drz seat feeling.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, robb5 said:

Last weekend I did 400 miles 2 up on the bmw 1150rt and decided to take a break by riding horseback on the no vehicle sections from the Columbia river along the pacific crest trail toward mt.hood. somehow we lucked out and missed the the debotchery of the gambler 500 rally racers blowing through and them getting tangled up with the oregon trail reenactors on the Barlow road. 

Rented horse+loaner roping saddle+5000 feet in elevation change= stock drz seat feeling.

Funny you should mention the stock drz seat...  I had just swapped it out for a full Seat Concepts (complete seat, new pan/foam/cover) days before our ride.  Gotta say, it seemed a bit firm in the shop when I was putting it on...but by golly, that extra width is AMAZING.  I didn't have my ass give out during the ride, and on Wednesday and Thursday we rode from 7am to 8pm pretty much straight through stopping only for quick pictures, fuel, and food breaks.  12+ hour pulls with most of it off-road and no butt failure!  I'm a believer.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HansLanda said:

This makes me want to buy mousses

I'm giving serious thought to the Gen2 Tubliss system for the rear.   I have a rim lock on my rear wheel which necessitates about a pound of spoke weights opposite to get the wheel to balance.  Didn't have any issues during the trip, even running a few stretches at 70mph.  But that is a lot of unsprung weight back there with the Pirelli scorpion mid-hard, heavy tube, and all that weight.  I burned off better than 1/2 that tire on this trip.  Good times.  :-)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bucket list said:

How did you repair tube and air it up?

Sent from my LG-D852 using ThumperTalk mobile app

I just put a new tube in and use a small bicycle pump to air it up.  I also carry a little plastic bottle of bead lube with me on trips like this.  Makes life a whole lot easier getting that bead on and off and re-seated.  I also carry a patch kit, but I always use a new tube first if I have it.

• Like 1

I'm giving serious thought to the Gen2 Tubliss system for the rear.   I have a rim lock on my rear wheel which necessitates about a pound of spoke weights opposite to get the wheel to balance.  Didn't have any issues during the trip, even running a few stretches at 70mph.  But that is a lot of unsprung weight back there with the Pirelli scorpion mid-hard, heavy tube, and all that weight.  I burned off better than 1/2 that tire on this trip.  Good times.  :-)

I guess that would be an improvement, if you get a puncture, you can put a mushroom in the tire and pump it up. Is it common that the Tubliss inner tube gets punctured? That would not be fun to repair, but I guess carrying a spare would be lighter weight.
Mousses still sound best to me, despite never using them. But I get a lot of flats so I'm just thinking of how to avoid tubes all together. I want to get tubless rims for my SM set up too.

A buddy and I did 720 miles in 72 hours on the Oregon Backcountry Discovery route this last week.  Estimating that 80%+ of our route was off pavement.  Well about 40 miles from nowhere I managed to pick up a nail.  We leaned it over on the kickstand, jammed a broken off branch under the right side frame and then, because we didn't feel like unloading it, used a couple of ratchet straps to keep it from tipping over all the way to the kickstand side.  Worked like a charm  Back on the trail lickety split.

596d920dccbd4_DSCN0894(Medium).JPG.8993ccc96ac2ce7e1db94099e93ea9ae.JPG

596d920cd8348_DSCN0898(Medium).JPG.c416bdb149ad2a55a10fb059cd9729b8.JPG

596d92cb8cbde_DSCN0979(Medium).JPG.752651ad1833353fd87560732aa5c1cb.JPG

So jealous. I'm in Eugene, can't find anyone to do the OBCDR with. Did you stick to someone else's gpx routes or use the maps mostly? (Can I haz gpx filez?)

Luvs my seat concepts seat.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

5 hours ago, HeavyRotation said:

So jealous. I'm in Eugene, can't find anyone to do the OBCDR with. Did you stick to someone else's gpx routes or use the maps mostly? (Can I haz gpx filez?)

So my buddy found a good file from one of the other northwest dual sport sites and he modified it, added in some stuff, and then we dumped it onto our phones and use ORUX mapping app.  It was nearly flawless.  Didn't touch a paper map the whole time.  My buddy Chris is the one that did the mapping, but I have the files.  Shoot me a personal message with your email and I'll send you what I have.  Some .gpx and some .kmz files...

• Like 1