Have my cams moved???

Just doing some work for a friend.  He's just bought a non running 505 ktm. Apparently it was running and then parked up a few years ago.

Fitted a new battery, new engine oil,  fresh fuel and a carb clean later and we are ready to hit the button. It backfires a bit but doesn't run.

Think I'd better check the timing....

Firstly the bolt to lock the crank is snapped off lol. So I use the old method of using a long Allen key in the sparkplug hole.

Find TDC (ish.  Not quite as accurate as locking the crank properly) and the cam chain sprocket dot matches up. 

Unfortunately both cams flat edges are pointed slightly inwards ??. If you move the cams one tooth either way they are out by miles.

It looks like the cam sprockets have moved. Any advice will be appreciated :)

20170718_115518_zpsr9x1zh0q.jpg

all you need is a 20mm x m8 long bolt for the crank lock 

then use a 1mm m8 thick copper washer to unlock it

you pic didnt work

• Like 1

sorry i should have mentioned its a 2007 bike (think they use a much longer bolt fromt what ive read).

i did put in the post the locking bolt has snapped. theres no head on it so ill have to remove this.

just seen the pic. seems like photobucket has joined the nazi party

ok mate thanks, ill bare that in mind. currently however im going to have to get a easy out on the snapped bolt to even lock it

OK so this has been sorted. Basically the last owner I don't think was entirely honest let's say. 

Looking at tdc it looked like it could go one more tooth on th cam chain sprocket. I moved this to what I thought was the correct position.  Moved the cams back again to where it looked right and turned the engine over. It turned with no interference.  

Pressed the starter and she fired into life. It seems go run great. Just took it very steady .

Either the cam chain tensioner has failed or the previous owner had been &%$#@!ing about with it and timed it up wrong. I'll order a manual tensioner and I think it'll be ready to ride