break-in procedure???

Tonight I'll finish my complete engine rebuild on my KDX220 and will be firing it up before dark.

Although I've been riding since the late 70's, I was out of the 2 stroke game for a while and things have changed a bit since then. I've seen/heard a lot of varying opinions on break-in. Most seem to agree with running various rpm's and under a load for a half hour or so, then letting it cool down and check bolt torque, so that's probably the route I'll take.

But what about running 24:1 pre-mix in the first tank full ??? I'm old school and back in the day that was standard procedure, but I've not seen anyone mention that in years, nor did I see it mentioned in the bike's manual. Still a good idea or not necessary ?

Can't wait to see how much difference the RB mod's have made.

Stick with whatever ratio you are going to run in the bike.  I personally think break ins are a bit of a myth and it's why there are so many opinions, they all work. The one thing to he aware of is if you are running a forged piston (wiseco). Let the bike warm up fully before ripping on it so the piston doesn't expand to fast in the bore.  This goes for everytime you go ride not just break in.

I like to warm the bike up on the stand until it's at temperature (maybe 3-5 minutes) then hop on it click a few gears and give it a good flogging to get the rings set and burn off any extra oil from rebuild process.  After that I pretty much consider it good.  If something was wrong with the rebuild I don't even think you'd get this far. I will recheck my torque on the cyk and head as well after it cools but I've yet to retorque anything.

Edited by DylDog
  • Like 1

warm it up on the stand and while do that check for leaks

ride around steady and very the rpm and load the motor up a bit to 1/2 throttle 

cool down 

warm back up and go ride it without holding it wide open for to long

cool down , check for leaks and check cylinder and head tension ( i forgot to do this and have 10 hours on my rebuild and no issues)

ride it like you normally would

the company that replated my cylinder recommended to run my normal oil and mix ratio and do 2 heat cycles

She fired up on the second kick and is running GREAT now! RB's carb and head work along with my port cleanup really brought this thing to life. Although it still isn't a screamer on top end (and I didn't expect it to be), she'll now rev out nicely instead of feeling like it's hitting a rev limiter. Power wheelies in 3rd are EASY and 4th isn't difficult with a little effort (but still without clutching). I'm a happy camper and can't wait to hit the woods this weekend.