How difficult to convert a '17 250sx to a tc250?

I'm looking to get a modified tc250 but even searching all of cali I've only found one listing in the past 3 months and the seller and I had a falling out when he cussed me out for offering him $7000 instead of his $8000 OBO asking price. There have been a lot of 250sx bikes listed though. Aside from plastics, how difficult would it be to convert a 250sx to a tc250? Cost of parts? I'll b ordering through RMATV 

Max motor sports in Pelham al has some brand new ones for 7 I believe. 

Also, I just read a review of the 17 tc250 and it seems there is no way to 100% convert it to a TC. Seems it has different frame geometry and forks and other things. 

Edited by LukeYZ426F

1 hour ago, LukeYZ426F said:

Max motor sports in Pelham al has some brand new ones for 7 I believe. 

Also, I just read a review of the 17 tc250 and it seems there is no way to 100% convert it to a TC. Seems it has different frame geometry and forks and other things. 

Do u have a link? I thought it had different valving specs but same forks and shock. As far as I'm aware the differences are 1) clutch master cylinder 2) air box  3) plastics 4) valving, 5) brake rotors 6) subframe. But I want to be certain. I found a really low hr '17 ktm with a lot of mods and I think I can get it for $6000. He has already agreed to $6500. But I don't want a ktm to be honest. I have a '16 fc450 and '17 tc65 for my son and want to keep it all husky. I can get the husky rear subframe (3 separate pieces) from rmatv for $400 and get acerbis plastics for $100. I'm hoping I could do the conversion for around $500 but I'm just not sure if it's as simple as slapping on different plastics and changing out the subframe. 

14 minutes ago, digarcia1987 said:

Do u have a link? I thought it had different valving specs but same forks and shock. As far as I'm aware the differences are 1) clutch master cylinder 2) air box  3) plastics 4) valving, 5) brake rotors 6) subframe. But I want to be certain. I found a really low hr '17 ktm with a lot of mods and I think I can get it for $6000. He has already agreed to $6500. But I don't want a ktm to be honest. I have a '16 fc450 and '17 tc65 for my son and want to keep it all husky. I can get the husky rear subframe (3 separate pieces) from rmatv for $400 and get acerbis plastics for $100. I'm hoping I could do the conversion for around $500 but I'm just not sure if it's as simple as slapping on different plastics and changing out the subframe. 

http://www.dirtrider.com/2017-husqvarna-tc-250-review

I have a TC and I'm pretty familiar with the SX

Body work won't bolt on. Mounting points of shrouds, side panels/tank are different

at $6K, I'd jump on that SX and would be happy with it.

I rode one several times and while both bikes do feel a bit different, I won't say one is better than the other.

Jetting sucks on both for sure. Finally got mine dialed in but what a pain

Why don't you do a white plastics/custom HVA graphics and call it a day?

Brakes are great on both and the Magura clutch on the TC does not stand out in front of the Brembo setup on the SX.

If you jump from one bike to the other, there's a different feel at first but you get used to in a few laps

It seems not many TC's were ordered by Dealers. Mine came from a Georgia Dealer who sold 3 or 4 and in one year I've seen one only in my area (and it was last week!)

Oh and you you also forgot the rims/handlebars/engine clutch cover are different....

And most important you're gonna have to powdercoat that black frame...TC_Bostwick.jpg

TC_Bostwick.jpg

Edited by mxstate
  • Like 2

It is no big deal - I converted my 250TC to a 250SX and basically other than the frame color it is just a bolt on of parts. Suspension, frame and engine (except the clutch/ignition cover) are identical. You need the tank (!!!), subframe and plastics. Same bike on the pictures attached - started out as a 2017 TC250, now for the moment a KTusky 250XC ...

Michael

20160811_140801.JPG

20170328_131108.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 7/21/2017 at 8:59 PM, TommyB 754 said:

I thought the lower subframe mounts were different on the TC. Two bolts on the husky only one on the KTM. 

the 2015/2016 Husqvarna subframes used two bolts for the rear subframe, on the 2017 and up they use one. I'm looking to do this to a 2018 Husqvarna FE450 and convert it to an KTM. I got the Husqvarna because I think PDS suspension is awful and much prefer the linkage suspension, so I went with this bike. I prefer the seat and the plastics to the Husqvarna so I'll be converting mine next winter or later this summer depending if my garage is built in time.

Edited by Offset_moto

I have a 2017 TX300 converted to a 300XC. As stated, you need the aluminum subframe, airbox, battery box, the KTM gas tank, seat, and the KTM plastics.

The reason I did mine was because of how fat and round the rear of the bike felt between my legs. Also the huge one piece husky side panels bothered me as they wore through graphics and even through the plastic from boot rub. A really crappy design in my opinion. Now I have a 300XC with a white frame. 

Its very unique. And I went with all white plastics and husqvarna color theme graphics still. Cost around 800CAD from my local dealer. So thats what, 500US? Not too expensive of a conversion compared to trading it in or buying some one elses used bike that might not have been maintained.

Edited by railingruts

On 3/18/2020 at 4:42 AM, mog said:
On 3/18/2020 at 4:22 AM, railingruts said:
I would have to dig up the bill but Im sure it was in the neighborhood of 800CAD

It's ok ,it's really cheap for all that

Subframe $174, airbox 35, airbox boot 55, tank 195, seat 105, shrouds 75, other plastics about 125, rear fender 30.  Approx $765 usd from RMAtv prices for 2017 300XC.  The white plastics are less expensive.

• Like 2