YZ250 sub frame bolt snapped

While putting my sub frame back on last night, the upper (center) sub frame bolt, right under the gas tank area, snapped.  I accidentally set my torque wrench wrong.....

My local Yamaha dealer never seems to have parts like this.  Where can I find one and what is the part number?  

Ant help is appreciated.

9 minutes ago, Chalk said:

While putting my sub frame back on last night, the upper (center) sub frame bolt, right under the gas tank area, snapped.  I accidentally set my torque wrench wrong.....

My local Yamaha dealer never seems to have parts like this.  Where can I find one and what is the part number?  

Ant help is appreciated.

Did you get it removed? It's a 8x1.25 and you can match the length at a hardware store. Might even find it in flange, but it will definitly be a 13mm head. 

Yes got it out.  I was wondering if a hardware store might have it too.  I'll try that for starters.  Thanks for the replies.

1 hour ago, Chalk said:

Yes got it out.  I was wondering if a hardware store might have it too.  I'll try that for starters.  Thanks for the replies.

8mm X 1.25 thread pitch.

• Like 1

Did it not feel like you were using an excessive amount of force?  I'm not trying to be a jackass but this seems to be a case where a regular 8" 3/8ths ratchet would have been a better choice.  I'm supposing that the extra length of the torque wrench may have made it too easy to apply too much torque.

No not really.  Had the torque wrench set, but actually read the Newton Meter number instead of the foot pounds, from the manual.  That equals over torque!!  I thought it started to feel strange so I stopped and rechecked the torque value.  Then tried it again with the proper foot pounds set.  It emmediately snapped as it was already compromised.  I'm quite familiar with the torque wrench, just read the wrong value from the manual.  Doesn't take a lot with a mid sized TR to get too much if set wrong!

• Like 1

no need to use a torque wrench for that bolt , tight is tight

• Like 1

I figure if it has a torque value why not use it.  Too many people overtighten things.  Unfortunately I did so using a torque wrench this time.😬

3 hours ago, Chalk said:

I figure if it has a torque value why not use it.  Too many people overtighten things.  Unfortunately I did so using a torque wrench this time.😬

Hard to  over tighten  an 8mm bolt with a 1/4" ratchet

My hand has gotten very calibrated over the years ,but I still always use one for the criticals . Head ,cylinder ,  Fork pinch bolts etc .