How's your 150r holding up?

Got the 2014 for my kid a couple years ago at 14 hours. We are at 220 hours and counting. Last 100 has been especially hard riding. Mostly track time with trails and pits mixed in. Top end and clutch at 100 hours with no significant wear(actually still looked new). So far tires, cables, pads, and drive components have been the regular replacements. The chain needs constant adjustment, and the stock rims leave much to be desired. Have not had to touch the valves.

Age 12

Years riding 6

Weight 85lbs

Height 5'2"

Mods

RD power bowl

WC adjustable fuel screw

FMF megabomb + FMF silencer

RG3 fork and shock setup

ASV levers

Pro taper bars

Pro taper aluminum rear sprocket

Renthal front sprocket and works chain

Weisco top end kit

OEM clutch kit

Works connection radiator braces and skid plate

Dunlop MX3S front and rear

38 pilot(42 below 60 degrees F)

140 main

Stock needle and position

Elevation 0

Adjustable leak

Shock

Comp 1 1/4 t

Rebound 1 1/8 t

Spring 4.4

Spring preload 8mm

Sag 90mm

Forks

Comp 4 t

Rebound 1 1/2 t

Springs .30

Fluid height 120 mm

Preload stock

Position stock

Any comments on these settings, your settings, or feedback on the hours and durability of your 150 would be appreciated.

Got the 2014 for my kid a couple years ago at 14 hours. We are at 220 hours and counting. Last 100 has been especially hard riding. Mostly track time with trails and pits mixed in. Top end and clutch at 100 hours with no significant wear(actually still looked new). So far tires, cables, pads, and drive components have been the regular replacements. The chain needs constant adjustment, and the stock rims leave much to be desired. Have not had to touch the valves.

Age 12
Years riding 6
Weight 85lbs
Height 5'2"

Mods
RD power bowl
WC adjustable fuel screw
FMF megabomb + FMF silencer
RG3 fork and shock setup
ASV levers
Pro taper bars
Pro taper aluminum rear sprocket
Renthal front sprocket and works chain
Weisco top end kit
OEM clutch kit
Works connection radiator braces and skid plate
Dunlop MX3S front and rear

38 pilot(42 below 60 degrees F)
140 main
Stock needle and position
Elevation 0
Adjustable leak

Shock
Comp 1 1/4 t
Rebound 1 1/8 t
Spring 4.4
Spring preload 8mm
Sag 90mm

Forks
Comp 4 t
Rebound 1 1/2 t
Springs .30
Fluid height 120 mm
Preload stock
Position stock

Any comments on these settings, your settings, or feedback on the hours and durability of your 150 would be appreciated.

IMG_0131.PNG

Hi,

Thank you for the detailed post. We just got our 150, so I don't really have much to add to the list other than it looks like a sweet setup :)

The pilot seems a bit small compared to what is recommended on this forum (45). I was told by my mechanic that some went to over 50... I have just installed the JD kit, and it comes with a 42 but also uses a different needle, so I am not sure that it is comparable. Before that, we had a 45 in, and it worked good.

I was wondering when someone would say something about this. When I got the bike at 14 hours, it had the 38 pilot, fuel screw 2.5 turns, along with the R&D Power bowl and ran awesome. No low end bog or hesitations. Perfect plug color etc. Around 75 hours, the 1/8th throttle/of idle bog started showing up which I could eliminate with a slight fuel screw adjustment. I moved up to a 42 pilot and 2 turns out, and that solved the issue. At around 100 hours, I did the top end and installed a new Weisco with a slightly higher comp ratio. After break-in I noticed that the choke was no longer needed to start cold, and the power delivery was a little less snappy off idle.  I am at basically 0 elevation.  After fooling around with the leak jet and Fuel screw, I found that the 38 pilot with 2.5 turns out and a smaller than stock leak jet setting was the sweet spot again. 

Interestingly, now that the bike has over 200 hours, and it has been around 100 hours since the top end rebuild, the bike started exhibiting the lean bog last week. I installed the 42 pilot at 2 turns out, and again its solved. I checked the valves to be sure, and they are perfect. 

My theory on this is that as the rings wear, the vacuum created by the engine is reduced slightly, reducing the suction of fuel through the pilot and creating a lean condition bog. I also believe that the 38 works well in combination with the smaller leak jet setting. IMO the installation of the larger pilot jets can cover up the benefits of a smaller leak jet.  

Edited by wchefd
mis-stated pilot size.
  • Like 2